Am I going back to work to early?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there,

I had ORIF surgery on June 22nd I have a plate 5 screws and repair for torn tendons. I am 44 years old. I work a customer service position that requires a lot of up and down. I do ok with crutches but still kinda unstable and i have a scooter but I will not be able to use the scooter at work because of space limitations. My pain is still a 6-7 with my foot swelling after too much activity and I get shooting stabbing pains. My question is am I going to work too fast? Thanks fir the input.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I think you're going back too soon especially because of your pain level. I had ORIF 5-1/2 months ago. I would think for an active job the ideal would be to take 4 months off, but that's just one opinion. I know sometimes we can't wait that long due to financial constraints. 

• Posted

Thank you patti133, deep in my heart I know it's too soon. My husband keeps pushing me but I think I need more time. Luckily I get disability through my work. I go see my ortho this week so hopefully he will agree.

• Posted

I agree Patti. My husband would have said the same , only his broken hand has been very slow to heal, and he sympathises. Ask you Dr or Physio. 6-7 very high. 2-3 would be ideal. You don't want to push yourself and fall over. The experts could shed light on this

Meanwhile you could do upper body exercises. I was just re inspired by Dawn. She's pushing it and feeling good.

She exercises everything except foot and ankle. I'm going to give it a shot.

Good luck!??

• Posted

Sounds to early. I had ORIF 3 weeks ago. My surgeon said d it usually takes about 3 months for this type of fracture to heal. He filled my HR paperwork to keep me out for 3 months. 
  • Posted

I agree that you are going back to work too soon. Even after you are weight bearing you will have swelling and discomfort when the leg is down. I also agree with 4 months if possible.
  • Posted

Hi. I agree with Patti. My opinion is that you should take 4 months off work, as you are in a demanding job role. I went back to work just after 3 months and doing 60 hours per week, mostly on my feet. I was struggling mentally and financially so forced myself, but the first 3 weeks were very difficult, constant swelling, aching and draining. I could be wrong , each person is different and you may recover quicker? My surgery was 29th Sept 15 and still to this day I have swelling 24 /7, stiffness and get tired sooner than I used to. Whatever you decide I wish you luck and speedy recovery
    • Posted

Thank you all, I think I will push for the 4 monthe as well. It is so nice to speak with people who actually understand smile

• Posted

I am still shocked you went back to work with  the grueling schedule at month 3 Paul!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.