Am I going nuts???

Posted , 13 users are following.

I'm 44, I am still having regular periods. However I am experiencing uncontrolable bouts of crying, depression, feelings of dread, panic, raving heart, tiredness(like I don't want to bathe or do anything). I am normally an active happy person, but lately I don't want to do anything. I love to help people but I feel like my life is dead. I have no energy to even help myself. The panic is the worse. My mom went through menopause early. Is this what this is? I hate it!

3 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Yes, it's perimenopause and I started feeling like that at the start of the year. It's very scary at first because you don't know what's wrong with you.

Get to the doctor, going on a low dose pill can help. My periods are still regular too.

Just remember not to panic and that you are not going to die. This is yet another thing we women have to suffer through.

• Posted

Hi Ann,  It could very well be, but to be honest it sounds more like depression, BUT, I am not a doctor.  I have however gone through everything you mentioned, and am on medication for anxiety called Citalopram which has helped me!  But I am also on hormones again too.  There is also a forum here for those of us that are on Citalopram, if you would like to check it out, you might see some of the symptoms you are goin through there as well.  But I think you should start with your GP doctor and tell them everything you said here.  Have you had your blood work done, to see where your hormone levels are?  You are not too young to be starting your menopause.  It can all really play havoc with our bodies!!  I sure understand what you are going through!  I wish you didn't have to, but we are here for you to talk to anytime you feel like it!  We have all been through it, or are going through it, so we do understand, and you are NOT going nuts love!! Give that doctor a call very soon though!!  That would be the first thing to do!  You are not alone in this!!  Good luck!!!  Let us know how you are doing! X
    • Posted

Hi Ann...just a side note, for me it was depression and anxiety at the time.  I had to have a complete hysterectomy at age 33, I am now 61,  I have been on the Cital for 3 years, (I had a very low time, not sure exactly why, but the meds did help me tremendously) and I have been on Premarin since I was 33 until January of this year when my GP wanted to take me off of the hormone.  That's when I thought I would go nuts!  It didn't work, going off of them...at all!!!  Then I found this forum, and was shocked to find out I was not nuts, and at how many others were going through what I was!  Anyway, I am back on the hormone meds now, and feeling so much better...more like myself again!  Believe me, my hubby is a happy fella too!  wink 

But, either way, if it is your hormones, or depression/anxiety there is nothing to be ashamed of, there is no judgement here on these forums!  You get on what ever meds you need to be on, and you will be back to yourself soon!!  Our bodies are sure tricky things!!  They used to call our periods "the curse"...I think what comes after is the real curse!  LOL  No one tells us that when we are younger!!

• Posted

Hi Ann. You have just described my symptoms and they started with a BOOM in January. Also hot flushes, no period since Jan but one last week, and achy joints. I had a blood test and it confirmed high FSH levels (doc said 133 although I have no idea what that means :-)) but she said I was perimenopausal.

Every one of us seems to get their own set of dishes off the perimenopause menu and someone said on a forum that it seems to get you in your 'soft spot' ( i have had anxiety / depression before).

I would book in with doctor. The beauty of this wonderful site is that you pick up great tips from lots of people. One recommended writing a list of symptoms beforehand so you remember in docs room instead of going all 'wooly' and the other is keeping a mood diary/ journal to see if there is any pattern to moods. And be proactive about your own menopause because no one knows your body like you and it's easy to get fobbed off as some docs just don't take it seriously or dont see each woman as unique in terms of her experience.

Oh, and insomnia / poor sleep is a symptom for me. Hence the early reply!!

Take care

C X

• Posted

Hi Ann. It certainly sounds like the dreaded menopause but please see your GP and ask for FSH levels to be checked. Then you can make a decision about treatment once you get the results. Hang on in there. 

• Posted

Hi ann , your not going nuts, I'm exactly the same now 45 . It only gets bloody worse. You get moody and irritable , feel like you could kill someone at time , wanna give up on life . Lay there feeling sad and lonely like your the only person feeling this way. Weight gain , breast larger and feel heavy like a boob job gone wrong nipples hurt , pain on right side of lower abdomen ,backache, headache, feeling of baby kick like sensation in stomach , water retention . Feel fat and more depressed as clothes don't fit, painful and clots periods . I wish they could remove all my inside and it all ends . I could go on and on trust me ! God bless all women x
  • Posted

Hi Ann, we're not going nuts and it's not depression and anxiety. The problem is your hormones are all out of wack, these regulate your mood and ability to cope with everyday things.

Women rely on their ovaries and the estrogen and progesterone, when perimenopause hits, we start to lose our ovaries and our body has to adjust and start relying on the thyroid and adrenal glands. The adjustment takes time and causes an imbalance in our chemistry. For some of us, it manifests in horrible symptoms.

Please don't let yourself think you are nuts.

• Posted

Hi Ann.....another reassuring post to say I have all the same symptoms.......everything is just overwhelming and had a panic attack this am....hugs to you and us all xxx
    • Posted

Hi TropicalVon...i am the same. ..had a baaad 3 days again...aching ribs and chest...tired...down....AND anxiety attacks again thurs fri sat. I am over it. I see the doctor tuesday for bloods and mammogram results. All going well going to try hrt patches. I am over the ups and downs of peri. I have stopped caffeine....improved diet...walking...meditating....but when it comes back it doesnt help at all.sad
  • Posted

Hi Anne, yes it is Perimenopause I was exactly the same at the beginning of last year just out of the blue really bad health anxiety, panic attacks feeling of dread, everything you have described I have had an awful 18 months, they did the blood test but unless you are well into menopause it isn't very reliable, but just by my symptoms alone the doctor said it was definitely peri.

fingers crossed at the moment I am good, but I have started doing a lot of excercise and it's since this I have picked up. Big Hugs because it really is a scary Time, but remember it is just your hormones xx

• Posted

Hi,

You are not going nuts or mad. Fiona described it best. It's hormones all out whack and we all expierence it differently. You will find we go through some of the same symptoms at one time or another and this forum is a great place to be. Certainly start with the GP. Have some blood work done to see where your levels are and if your are low on any vitamins and nutrients that our body gets depleted of during this time and start from their. Don't get discouraged if your hormone levels come back normal. It doesn't mean that you aren't perimenopausal, those tests are not always reliable as hormones fluctuate hour to hour so some doctors go off symptoms. Just know you are not alone. We are here for you and each other. There is great suggestions, a place to vent and ask questions and to simply read other's expierences that may be going through the same as you. I hope you get some relief soon. Take care and be kind to yourself.

• Posted

Get your thyroid checked, too. The whole shebang with antibody count etc. I too had all those symptoms and found out I was hypothyroid. With very small changes I was able to get rid of all those issues and have the most energy I have had in years. Showering once a day was about all I was able to do and now I am back to walking the dog, gardening etc. 

Good luck!

• Posted

OMG you have described my symptoms EXACTLY!! I am 50 next month and about 4 days before mid cycle and/or 4 as before menses I have all the symptoms you describe. I feel like I am going mad when it happens and the heart racing (which is often there when I wake during the night) is the worst symptom!! I also have Hypothyroidism but blood tests show I'm at a good level atm. I find that on my hormnes change ie start menses the symptoms switch off and I feel reasonably normal again. I have just tried going on the pill to try and regukate my hormones, however after 2 days I have ended up with a migraine like headache (which was the main reason for me stopping them 25+ years ago). I would love to know if anyone has found anything that has helped, perhaps any natural meds? All the best from a fellow PeriPain sufferer x .
  • Posted

Hi Ann, so sorry to read this, know just how you feel. Try your hardest to have a shower and stay fresh it may only help a little, but the little things make it all worthwhile.

HRT will be your lifeline for a while, there are many to chose from but with the right one your life will once again be happy.

Don't prcrastinate, do something today, your symptoms are saying your hormones are out of control and need some help.

Please do not take too much negative info in regarding HRT it is amazing when you find the right one.

Stay strong, keep your mind busy with talking books, catch up tv, movies anything to occupy your overactive mind at this time.

Wishing you well Ann,

Loui X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.