Am I going through menopause?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, Im 53 and having hot flushes, and night sweats. I need to sleep most nights with a fan on beside my bed, and also waken out of my sleep suddenly and have trouble getting back to sleep again. I have been on fluxotine for 13 years as I was suffering from anxiety and stress, but could not find a reason for this, now I think I may have been perimenopausal. My periods where always regular but then changed to very irregular and eventually very heavy but havent had a period now for 13 months. Am I going through menopause.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi u sound very much like myself, i began last year with anxiety completely out of the blue and then the other symptoms have crept up on me. it sounds very much like u are to me, iv got to admit it is a very strange time with many woman thinking they are going mad and totaly out of control of their lives, good luck hun x
  • Posted

Thanks for your reply Julie, much appreciated. To be honest if this is all I suffer I will be grand, some people seem to get worse symptoms. To be honest I am enjoying not having periods, so hope I never ever see them again lol.
  • Posted

This is crazy, isn't it? I started not sleeping well, but just thought it was because they switched my anti depressant that I had been on for 14 years .... then some nights I would wake up soaking wet - still didn't think much of it - then from one day to the next - anxiety attacks, hot flashes 10 times a day and crying spells for no reason out of nowhere ----- just now allowing to even admit to myself that maybe I am perimenopausal.....now, if they can just find a wand to fix it all - that would be great ...reading that these symptoms might last for several years is not something I look forward to.........let me know if you find any coping strategies
  • Posted

Hi Everyone

just read your posts. I am 57 started having trouble sleeping missed a few periods that was ok.. till the sweats started ..all day long ..I went to my GP he sent me for blood work and he said my hormone levels where really low he put me on HRT.. the sweats stopped but the sleeping problem I still have. this was five years ago .I went through some bad stuff over the last year the doctor said I had anxiety he put me on antidepressants which made me feel worse so I came off them .I am going back to see him soon as I know I need something to help me sleep I have been told all women go through the menopause differently

I didn't expect this for me I went a full yr without a period then I get the odd one .I wish u all the best .

xxx

• Posted

Dear all, I am comforted reading your posts to know that I am not the only one going through this and that its fairly normal to experience these symptoms.

The past few days have been particulaly bad and I've been crying and feeling so low with my self esteem hitting rock bottom. The worst symptom is being awake from 3 to 5a.m, which happens for about 10 days in a row each month. It's then such a struggle to face the day ahead of me as I am really tired.

I have tried 3 types of HRT but I do not like the side effects, bloating being the worst. I have now been prescribed Indivina, I'm worried to start taking them but I need help sleeping and help with my mood swings. Is anyone on Indivina, perhaps you could let me know how you're getting on with it?

I am a great believer in acupuncture, it helps but doesn't allivate all my symptoms, I swim and do yoga, I am particular with the food that I eat following guidlines on eating soya etc, oh and I've had to stop drinking wine in the evenings as my hot flushes are much worse when I do, thats sad sad

• Posted

Hi. Its horrible, isnt it? I had lots of odd physical symptoms to begin with, itchy feet, odd feelings in my ears, and the usual sweats and flushes. I put up with the lack of sleep, hot and freezing cold nights. Then I was given menoforce sage tablets. I havent had a flush or night sweat since. Thats a week now that Ive slept all night. Maybe worth a try, as lack of sleep makes you feel worse about everything, and a few nights decent sleep could perk you up a little. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.