Am I having a serious reaction to Avamys nasal spray?

Posted , 5 users are following.

My doctor recently prescribed me an Avamys nasal spray as I was informed I had rhinitis as my nose is constantly running/dripping from when I wake up to when I go to bed, and when I wake up in the morning I also have a blocked nose.  If I go out without a tissue, I am doomed!

​I have to have two squirts in each nostril once a day, which I am doing at night time.

​Anyway the last couple of days my eyes have been very sore, quite blurred and watery, as if I am crying.  It seems to be as soon as I go outside/get in the car they start stinging/burning, filling up with water and then running as if I am crying.

​This morning though my eyelids kept trying to shut on me, whilst I was driving so I had to pull over for a few minutes.

​Has anyone else had a similar reaction?  Is it the Avamys nasal spray?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I'm on the same spray avamys (fluitcasone furoate) for about month and half and have had no side effects. I don't what the doctor would say if you went back but I would stop the spray. If the syptoms clear then I would go back on the spray and see if the syptoms return.

​But best go back to the doctor.

• Posted

Its almost as if your describing my symptoms Susie, I too was presecribed Avamys and my gp said it would clear it up but after two days it gave me a sore throat and itchy hives on my chest.

It started with a very bad sinus and now its just a blocked nose and post nasal drip.

I went back to my gp and told him about the Avamys and he put me on Mometasone furoate spray which is causing me to have a constant  headaches and diarrhea.

Both nasal sprays had no effect whatsoever on my blocked nose.

I will be going back to see my gp and asking him to send me to an ENT.

I am taking antihistamine tablets (over the counter) and they have helped a bit.

• Posted

I developed sore tongue and coated! No medicine will clear up! Stopped using it 2 days ago still sore tongue. So upset! Anyone can help. Will see the GPS on Wednesday. Where I look it's so frightened. Help!!!! I was on to courses of antibiotics and then that spray. Sure myou tongue is due to all these.

Thanks

• Posted

I was prescribed Avamys for rhinitis but as I said in my last post the side effects were so bad I had had to stop using it and when I was using Avamys it did not work for me.

So after a lot of searching on the internet I found someone's page who suggested to cut out meat, wheat and dairy to see if it made any difference.

So I went wheat (gluten free) for a month and after three days I noticed a change straight away, no more flu like symptoms, brain fog gone, joint pain disappeared no more constipation but my nose still gets blocked but no where near as bad as before I went on the wheat free diet.

Here was the moment of truth after going wheat and gluten free for a month I went back on it to see if indeed it was the cause of my problems.

After consuming some toasted bread and some other wheat products my nose got blocked again and the thick mucus was in over drive and only steam could shift it and brain fog returned.

I tried dairy and meat free diets and noted no changes whatsoever.

I read that it takes time for this gluten to be removed from my system and considering how long I have been consuming wheat I can well understand that and its not going to happen over night.

Overall I am very happy to be able to sleep comfortably at night without worrying about my nose getting blocked up and the upsides of not eating wheat is I eat far more fruit and veg what ain't a bad thing.

• Posted

I was using Avamys too. Stopped using it because of the side effects. I couldn't understand from the beginning unfortunately. Have done the same already 2 months on the same diet. I'm seeing today another ENT Doctor at London. See what he will say.

Blessings

• Posted

Good luck with your ENT appointment Natallia.

I remember reading Avamys contains castor oil which is a laxative and it also gave me hives really bad ones.

Have any of your symptoms improved after changing your diet?

• Posted

Thanks. It's all clear! Good can think of my Christmas now.

Thank you for your reply and have to say my Consultant doesn't think anything of my diet at all. ? He only asked me if I'm vegetarian. I'm not.

Burning sensation in my mouth is common and nothing can be done but if the diet helps I can steak to it.

Blessings

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.