Am I having DTs

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi so I drink excessively usually binge for a number of days, eventually decide to stop for the first and second day the shakes, sweats, fear, guilt and everything else are unbearable but by the 3rd day as they begin to ease I start drinking again and the cycle continues. I recently just finished a 10 day binge drinking constant day and night from the minute I open my eyes. Eventually I stopped because I had no drink or money left. I experienced horrible feelings and wondered if this could be DTs, my shakes were so bad I couldn't hold a glass of water, I felt like my whole insides were rattling, I couldn't concentrate on one thought, constantly vomiting to the point where I thought I couldn't breathe, my heart was beating so fast and I felt like my chest was being crushed. I tried to sleep it off but I didn't know whether I was wakened or asleep. I could hear people talking in my house even though I live alone. I thought my aunty had came to visit but I didn't know if actually happened or not - turns out it didn't. I didn't know if I was dreaming or if it was real life. I was dreaming/imagining being trapped in my house with loads of people every time I tried to get out some one would stand in front of me to stop me getting away and laugh at me, it was a horrible terrifying feeling, I wanted to get home to my gran but all these people were telling me I was looking for attention and that I couldn't leave. I know it wasnt real but I don't know if I was awake when this was happening or dreaming. My whole body, clothes and hair was soaked in sweat. I was so scared that I had to call my gran to come and take me to her house. Once I got there things eased off but when I was trying to get to sleep that night the same thing happened I felt awake but asleep at the same time and was being bitten by dogs I was trying to wake out of this sleep but it was like I was in a sleep but conscious at the same time but couldnt wake up. I was just wondering if I was experiencing DTs or just alcohol withdrawals? Thanks to anyone who can help. I have been attending AA meetings for my drinking.

1 like, 70 replies

70 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Nicola,I am sorry to hear your sad story.My late Mother passed away at the age of 47! My life was turned upside down,as my late Dad was also a very heavy drinker.He expected me to do everything for him.Without the drink he was so nice,but a nasty person when drunk.He was scared of being left alone.He passed away & it was sad,but my Husband & I gave up our lives to care for him.There is help out there.After my late Dad died I would drink,till one day I had a panic attack! Thought I was going to die.I had put on weight,& a cousin spoke to me & I stopped drinking. Please get the help & more You will come through this regards Amanda

• Posted

Sounds like what I went thru when I experienced DTs.

Does anyone have a tranqualizer you can take?  Do you have a Dr you can talk to?

Drink fluids, eat soup..If you can't get on a tranqualizer..maybe get some Benadryl to help you sleep better.

Take b vitamins if you have them, c vitamins, folic acid...all important to a quicker recover.

Withdrawals are h*LL....and I hope you are feeling better today.

• Posted

Hi Nicola,

Going on a lengthy binge and then stopping cold turkey can cause death.

Surely your sponsor can assist you wil some medical support during the inevitable withdrawal and DTs.

I suggest you print out a copy of what you wrote, frame it, and hang it on your bathroom mirror with a second copy above the commode. Read each one multiple times per day...think of your gran.. until you have convinced your head that alcohol is poison to you.

You were incredibly blessed this time, you lived.

kind regards

judith

• Posted

I don't think Nicola has a sponsor, she just said she went to AA.

its very dangerous to go cold turkey as you say, but also very difficult to get medication. An AA sponsor would have no chance.

• Posted

Thank you for your advice. It will be very hard to forget what I put myself through after that binge and every time drink crosses my mind I try to remind myself of that experience. The thing with alcoholism is that when the obsession with alcohol begins to start again i begin to forget all the negative experiences and can only think about the initial euphoria of the first few drinks. My mind begins to make excuses as to why I should have a drink or it will convince me that I won't get into trouble, I will only drink for one night etc etc. Needless to say it never turns out that way. After trying for many years to stop on my own the same cycle conintually repeated itself. The first few days of being sober I'd experience the unbearable withdrawals, the shaking, the sweating, the racing heart and thoughts etc. On these days the withdrawals would be so bad that I would bet my life and soul that I would never touch a drink again but once those feelings started to ease that insanity would kick in and again I'd begin to convince myself with all the lies and excuses so I could pick up that drink again. Going to AA daily constantly reminds me of all the negative experiences, that I'm not alone, that without the first drink I can't get drunk and most importantly to stay sober one day at a time. I don't have a sponsor yet but hopefully within the next few weeks I will have a sponsor, joined a group and started the 12 step programme. I cannot express my gratitude in words for these meetings. Only a few weeks ago I didn't want to be alive, I was completely hopeless and desperate. After going to these meetings for the first time in years and I can feel happiness, I feel safe and that things are going to be okay. I have hope for my future, 8 slowly but surely getting more confidence, something I never had unless I was drunk. I feel like I have so many good things to come if I stay sober. I genuinely believe I am one drink away from death or from serious alcohol related health condition.... I KNOW that if I stay sober and follow the programme the opportunities are endless. I have never felt hope like this before. I have a feeling deep inside that I have a happy life ahead of me without having to depend on alcohol to get me through it.

• Posted

Oh Nicola,

So very well said...Stick with AA, hooray for the 12 step program...your thought processes are sound and clear.

You can do this one hour at a time, one dau at a time.

Find an activity like running or biking, something that gets your heart rate up...when that damnable wee voice starts up, exhaust yourself with physical activity...count your steps, count your pedals...go fast...make your brain busy with counting so that your brain is simply too busy to think alcohol...

You go Nicola...and please kerp posting!

hugs

judith

• Posted

I had a similar experience! I've been drinking everyday for nearly 8 years I'm 25! Never really get drunk but always thought I was having a laugh as my family are big drinkers but always managed it! We had been on holiday and really hit it hard for 3 weeks! When I can back I stopped cold turkey and after 2 days had a panic attck in the shops! I thought I was going to die! No sleep tremors and hallucinations all started the days after! I was convinced my parents were in the house and I was hearing voices and intense panic! Safe to say by boyfriend of 3 years finished it two days later! I then carried on drinking heavily at my parents and decided to start fresh and moved to Aussie! Within two days of 'taking it easy' I had a seizure! So now have gone from 2.5 bottles of wine and whatever I can get my hands on to 5 beers. Night and trying to cut down! Absolutely terrified to stop completely incase I have another seizure! But don't want to go on medication unless I have to! Just scary being on the other side of the world trying to fix everything! How are you getting on now?

• Posted

Thank you for the reply. I'm also 25 and have struggle with alcohol for the past 10 years. I always suffer from alcohol withdrawals when I try to stop drinking which are usually sweats and shaking. Once I was hospitalised because I had a bleed in my stomach because of drinking and whilst in hospital I was put on an IV drip and was given medication to prevent me from having seizures, I was also given diazepam regualry and thiamine. This meant that stopping drinking while I was there was easy because the Valium done the trick for me. But the last binge as discussed above was the worst withdrawals I've ever experienced and by the sounds of it I'm lucky to be alive. I've been going at AA meetings which I highly recommend. I literally lost all hope and didn't want to be alive any more, every time I drank I was getting into trouble with police or ending up in hospital. I lost my job, my flat, I crashed and wrote off my car whilst drunk. Bit by bit I was losing everything as well as my psychical and mental health deteriorating rapidly. I wanted to go to sleep and never wake up. I'm now 2 weeks sober and have been going to an AA meeting everyday. For the first time in a very long time I have hope for my future. I've met new sober friends with years of soberiety who have genuine concern for me. These people help me believe that I can have what they have if I follow the 12 step programme and get a sponsor. They are living proof that AA is the solution to alcoholism and the ONLY solution. I highly recommend these meetings if you haven't yet been to any. They don't only help with stopping drinking but with every other aspect of life. They teach you how to live without alcohol, help with depression and anxiety. They are miraculous. Please if you haven't been to any given them a go. There's so much help for you there. I'm still very early in my soberiety but I am 100% certain that if I follow the programme consistently and give it everything I've got then I will continue to stay sober one day at a time. I wish you all the best of luck. If you make it to an AA meeting then let me know how it goes. Take care smile

• Posted

Hi Laura,

How are you doing today?

Have you gone to AA yet?

Nicola and I are with you,

kind regards

judith

• Posted

I've been doing it for about a week. Last night me and my mates went out and we had a few tbh so I'm starting again tomorrow back to 5 and work down! What do you think the reasonable amount is? Will I still get hallucinations and that when I stop completely? X

• Posted

as long as you go out and drink with your mates, you will increase your risk of hallucinations when you stop.
    • Posted

Yeah I understand! We are in the middle of no where so last night was the first time in about 2 months having a laugh which we all needed to be honest! So tomorrow il be back on the 5 and work down! I can curb the crave as I can occupy myself I'm just bothered about after getting past that one! I don't like been drunk to be honest and even getting tipsy and not feeling like me! It's the aftermath like last time that bothers me! I can't let it affect work or my life! I'm scared to try and go to sleep incase I havnt drank enough for me not to have a fit like last time! I can deal with the insomnia and sweats! As long as I can function around work and people during the day! Il book an appointment tomorrow for gp! Does it have to go on your record as it will ruin my career over here x

• Posted

Say I went down to 1 a night for hyperthecially say a month will it reduce the withdrawals a lot? The drink doesn't bother me anymore I don't want to be that person anymore! I just don't want to have to stop everything and be an invalid back at my parents! I hate having to go to the shop due to panic that I may have a fit x

• Posted

Nicola your doing amazing! It's not good but nice to hear about these issues from people our age! I have a few mates who drink about 4 bottles of wine a day! I'm open to everyone about my concerns and it's crap! I thought I was just having a laugh without knowing the reprocussions! It's cost me 2 jobs my relationship and much more! We can all do this together x

• Posted

in the USA it does not go on your record...it doesn't have to...it shows

I really like assistance from your gp

How about AA

• Posted

Laura,

The ONLY person who can help you with a 'safe withdrawal plan' is a medically qualified medical physician.

The hallucinations you experienced clearly show that you should get proper medical advice.  This is a potentially very serious issue and you should not put yourself at risk.

Please see a physician.

• Posted

I'm happy to go to the doctors and get medication! My concerns are it will interfere with my work! I feel like I have to fly home and do this at home with my parents but money is the issue due to tapering as beer is expensive and flights are dearer which I can't afford right now! I'm stuck in two worlds! Is it safe to do it here? That's my main concern

• Posted

I think I can do it! I've got the determination it's the anxiety that gets me the most and what if I'm hallucinating at work? If I get it down enough will I be okay to stop? I'm down to 5 beers but havnt gotten lower than that at the moment and am taking loads of vitamins! I don't want my life to be revolved around this anymore!

• Posted

If you are following a physicians instructions, there he/she would not give those instructions without it being safe for you to do, no matter where you are.

A doctor will be giving those instructions/meds etc having taken in to account your general overall health, weight etc etc which of course no one here can be sure of.

• Posted

Yes too true. I have witnessed my Husband in a downward spiral. Dts are terrible Laura. Dont believe that this state us always reached by drinking bottles of vodka a day, not everyone can tolerate high volumes of alcohol, once my husband reaches 30 units a day which, is basically 3 bottles of wine he us in an awful state. 2 or 3 bottles of beer may not seem much, but it seems to me that the amounts gather momentum.
    • Posted

Medical advice from someone not qualified is very dangerous. Even the professionals on here, Joanna and Paul always make the point that they don't know the posters medical history so it would not be ethical to tell someone what to do.

i suspect that is the reason why so many of your posts have been deleted by the moderator. Several people have asked what experience you have with AUD, but you refuse to answer. The lack of response leads me to believe you don't have any and are merely giving text book replies and copying the information from AA literature or from somewhere else. Please do not keep telling people what they must do. It is dangerous and you're making yourself look rather silly.

• Posted

Laura how are you? Have you been to the doctor's yet? Also, you will need help and support not to pick up again. Your Doctor will have this information. If you live by yourself you will not always know if you have had a seizure. Please be careful

• Posted

Hello, umm it was a hard weekend and I didn't manage to stick to my schedule very well. So ashamed of myself! No not yet the nearest doctors is 28km away and there isn't any local transport so I need to speak some people to arrange what days I. An possibly get a lift! Also spoke to my dad today back in the uk and maybe I said if I can't manage it then il go back home after I've finished my farm work in Aussie and detox there but we shall see! How's everyone else doing?

• Posted

Yea I know, I was drinking 2/bottles or wine a day so getting to 5 beers for me is a big thing! I'm starting to crave it more though and miss the wine plus getting a beer belly but there's not much I can do about that right now! I'm just trying to get it down as far as possible! The anxiety is the thing that hits me the most! I get anxious as I havnt had a drink but I'm not sure if it's because my body wants one or I'm so aware I havnt if that makes sense! I want to try get some Valium to help but I need to be functional during the day for work! Is that possible?

• Posted

Heya Nicola how are you doing? I have a question as everyone seems to be doing well apart from me! I averagely do 10beers a night and am really starting to get my head around all of this! I currently have 4 beers in my fridge! I know to taper you should work down gradually but will this be enough for the night or should I get to the shop and start higher? I don't want to be having problems at work tomorrow as I havnt had enough to drink? Any advice would be great

• Posted

I don't think anyone on this forum would be able to tell you how much alcohol you need to stop withdrawals. The obvious answer to me would be to see your GP and explain what is going on and how much you are drinking. Medication is a much safer way of detoxing, plus you will be monitored safely.

If you're drinking 10 beers a night, then to reduce to 4 means you are more than halving your usual amount. If you regularly drink 10 beers a night, wouldn't you have problems at work every day! If you need drink to work, then IMO you need to see a dr and get proper medical advice, rather than rely on other people's suggestions. We are all different and what suits one person might be totally unsuitable for another

• Posted

Agree with you, vickylou.

Laura, all the way through this thread we keep suggesting that the doctor is the best place to go to get a proper plan and medication together.  I know you mentioned you would need transport to and from the doctor, but please arrange this.

Also, why even think of a drop from 10 to 4?  Why not 10 to 9 and then 9 to 8 etc etc?

If someone needs to lose weight, they don't suddenly aim to lose 6lbs in the space of 24 hours - it's just unrealistic and pretty much unachievable.

You really should seek medical help, but failing that taper very, very, very slowly down.  One beer a night.  If you can't do that, and stick to it, then it shows even more than you really should be seeking professional help to make it safe and more comfortable.

Trying to more than half your reduction overnight (and then being expecting to be able to stick to that consistently) is, I am sorry to say, stretching yourself too far, too fast. 

• Posted

That is amazing to read.

Thank you. Im alot older than you but i have pretty much lost everything a part from my kids who are 20 and 23. This means i still have something to live for although that can get cloudy at times. Its going to be tough trying to claw myself back up but i cant give up and reading posts like yours gives hope.

Thank you x

• Posted

Hi Laura, I can speak from experience.  When I first tapered from 20 units of wine a night, I did it one glass each day.  I got down to the 2 that I was happy with and it was fine - can't say I experienced anything horrible.

I did that for ages and then one night a friend came round and I had a bottle of wine; the next night I bought another bottle as enjoyed the sleep so well (and the rush).  The following night I bought 2 bottles, then I did this again the next few nights until I thought, here we go again, I am going to nip this now.  So I dropped off 10 units in one go, felt ok next day and that night dropped another 2, making a quick drop of 12 units in 2 nights.  But that did affect me, me head was muggy and thick and my eyes felt dizzy.  So much so that I had an appointment with an alternative therapist for stomach issues that day and I could not concentrate on what she was talking to me about.  After 2 hours on the bed for the therapy, when I got up I was dizzy and could not find the door to go out.

Then, I walked home and lost my way and it is only 15 mins walk and have lived there 30 years and know it so well.  My head was in bits.

There is no way I could have worked to a decent capacity.

Joanna is right, don't jump the gun, slowly slowly will leave you feeling fine.

p.s.  I also went to the shops and my hubs asked me if I would get him a pair of reading glasses, which I did, the only trouble was they only had  one lense!!!!!!  Talk about not with it.

G.

• Posted

Hello, no I didn't say that to suddenly drop I meant that was all I had in the fridge at that time and was anxious about getting to the shop! Doing aloy better yesterday I had 5 so today is 4 I'm getting a real grip on this now so we are going to see how it goes! I don't miss the buzz anymore so now I've got that around my head it's easier not to drink! I also went out yesterday to the cinema and where I would have usually had a couple before going out didn't have a drop all day until I got in which has been a while for me! Feeling a lot more positive now to be honest! And previous comments no I don't need to drink to work I'm surprisingly perky just get a bit tired! My dad used to run a drug and alcohol rehab service in London so I get aloy of advice from him as well as I know personally some top physicians which is helping! Glad everyone seems to be on a positive! Keep it up guys 😀

• Posted

Oh dear that doesn't sound fun at all! I havnt experienced anything bad yet I just get insomnia but I'm quite good at functioning with little sleep! I get anxious if I don't have drink in the house even if I don't drink it just incase I feel ill! But considering how much I've cut down from two and a half bottles plus a few beers a night to this is making me feel better! I used to do it for the buzz but now I'm getting it in my head that it's okay not to have the buzz I'm more proactive towards it! I've started reading of an evening aswell to take my mind off things and sometimes before I know it I havnt had my usual drink. And I'm going around friends houses for films so no one is drinking there which is throwing my usual pattern off! See I'm in the middle of no where south Melbourne doing dairy farming for my second year visa and it's very easy to get bored and roped into having a 'quick one'. It's a start at least

• Posted

westminster drug project I think

Laura I must have misunderstood you regarding needing alcohol to work. You said you needed alcohol to avoid problems at work.

i am a bit surprised you asking for advice from a forum when your dad is an expert and you know personally some top physicians who've given you advice.

i am however, surprised they agree with tapering from 10 to 5 drinks being ok and that they've not suggested detoxing with medication. I'm not medically trained, but I still say it is dangerous to practically halve the amount of alcohol you need so quickly. Stopping alcohol for a short period is the easy bit, remaining abstainant however is IMO much harder and requires a lot of effort, support and willpower.

However, if you are fine doing what you're doing, then that's great and you're not having any problems, then that's better still.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.