Am I having DTs

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi so I drink excessively usually binge for a number of days, eventually decide to stop for the first and second day the shakes, sweats, fear, guilt and everything else are unbearable but by the 3rd day as they begin to ease I start drinking again and the cycle continues. I recently just finished a 10 day binge drinking constant day and night from the minute I open my eyes. Eventually I stopped because I had no drink or money left. I experienced horrible feelings and wondered if this could be DTs, my shakes were so bad I couldn't hold a glass of water, I felt like my whole insides were rattling, I couldn't concentrate on one thought, constantly vomiting to the point where I thought I couldn't breathe, my heart was beating so fast and I felt like my chest was being crushed. I tried to sleep it off but I didn't know whether I was wakened or asleep. I could hear people talking in my house even though I live alone. I thought my aunty had came to visit but I didn't know if actually happened or not - turns out it didn't. I didn't know if I was dreaming or if it was real life. I was dreaming/imagining being trapped in my house with loads of people every time I tried to get out some one would stand in front of me to stop me getting away and laugh at me, it was a horrible terrifying feeling, I wanted to get home to my gran but all these people were telling me I was looking for attention and that I couldn't leave. I know it wasnt real but I don't know if I was awake when this was happening or dreaming. My whole body, clothes and hair was soaked in sweat. I was so scared that I had to call my gran to come and take me to her house. Once I got there things eased off but when I was trying to get to sleep that night the same thing happened I felt awake but asleep at the same time and was being bitten by dogs I was trying to wake out of this sleep but it was like I was in a sleep but conscious at the same time but couldnt wake up. I was just wondering if I was experiencing DTs or just alcohol withdrawals? Thanks to anyone who can help. I have been attending AA meetings for my drinking.

1 like, 70 replies

70 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

how are you keeping Nicola?? lots of good replies here...looking forward to the weekend I hope...pls let me know if i can give advice...i managed to stop 4 yrs ago....Robin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.