Am I having enough salt? How can I determine at home?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I've been trying to find a way to check if I'm having enough salt in my diet without the need of having complex analysis.

The reason I'm asking is because I don't particularly like salty food, and I'm rarely adding salt when I'm preparing food. My diet is usually consists of eggs, vegetables, fruit. Sometimes some pasta/noodles (approx 1 meal weekly), meat (approx 1 meal monthly) and eating out (approx 1 meal quarterly). Processed food - rarely, and it's usually chocolate, max 50g weekly.

I'd say that my health is great for my age (45), haven't visited doctor due to health issue since my primary school. My blood pressure on average is 115/70, and pulse 60.

In the past year or so I've been experiencing sudden lack of energy and weird feeling in my body (mostly arms and legs). If I get something savoury to eat symptoms go away really fast. Recently I tried with pure salt with some water - with the same if not better results. It looks like my body doesn't need energy, but salt.

Now, I don't want to start eating too much of it and cause a yo-yo effect. I would like to know what method can be used to determine if I'm having enough or too much salt in my diet. Resources regarding not having enough salt are quite limited.

I hope you can give me an answer, or at least a hint what should I do 😃

Thanks

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

A simple blood test can tell you your salt levels. I dont think there is a DIY test. However if your salt levels are dangerously low you would be feeling very ill indeed.

All vegetables contain a tiny amount of sodium so i think you are OK with your diet. You may be surprised at how much you are eating naturally.

The normal human body is very adept at taking whatever salt is needed from your diet, and excreting the rest. You dont have to add any.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.