Am I in for a life time of problems?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a splenectomy september last year. It was spontaneous, and I was only told when I woke up in hospital a day after what had happened, as no-one knew what was going on.

Im now on penecillin twice a day for the rest of my life. Ive had my flu jabs and things, and I am careful when I get ill and up my dose of penecillin. Since it happened though, I find that I get run down more easily, and that i'm a lit more tired out after working all day, which I used to handle fine.

Also, 3 months ago I was diagnosed with genital herpes. I was told that I could've had it for all my life but since having the splenectomy and having a weekened immune system that that was the only reason it outbreaked. My first outbreak was the single most painful thing i've had to go through (yes, more painful than having my spleen rupture spontaneously) and fortunately, my boyfriend was supportive and understanding and helped me through it. Now, everytime i get stressed or run down (which unfortunately is often) I get another outbreak.

Has anyone else experienced problems this severe, and basically, am I in for a life time of problems due to not having a spleen?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had my spleen removed after an accident about 15 years ago. It certainly has implications and tiresness is one of them, but generally your body will adjust over time and it is not life changing. Your immune system is impacted so the antibiotics are important and you should be diligent with hand washing and getting sore throats seen to etc.

I can't offer any advice on Herpes, but it may be worth asking your doctor if you are possibly allergic to pennicilin. I am but only found out when I had to take it every day. The symptoms were rashes, temperature, flushes - so maybe it's contributing to your outbreaks.

• Posted

I had an emergency splenectomy and partial pacreactomy after motorbike accident Jan last year. I got herpes in 2009 from oral sex, it was very painful, fortunately it hasn't flaired up since.

I stopped taking penicillin June last year but keep a stock just in case and will get the flu jab every year.

With regards to energy it took me a while to get my strength back but I'm back in work and have been suba diving.

Eat healthy and remain positive, it takes a little time!

• Posted

Yes your in for a life time of this. Me too . Having no spleen is hard hey

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.