Am I maimed?

Posted , 4 users are following.

My bunion surgery (Lapidus procedure) was 4 months ago and I noticed from the very beginning that when I tried to curl my toes under, the big toe would not move, it would just sit there no matter how hard I tried it seemed disconnected. Even though I can get my toe to curl down with my hand, doing it involuntarily seemed impossible. Now if it's in the right angle I can sometimes get some movement to curl it down but it will not stay. With the light touch of my finger I can move it back toward my body even though I am curling my toes under with all my might. Consequently when I walk it will not grip the floor and push down, it just floats up. This makes It painful to walk. I feel maimed. This is NOT normal is it? My doctor keeps telling me it's fine but I really don't think it is. Can anyone shed some light on this?

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Nancy, did you ever go to physical therapy or do any exersices. I started PT from week 3, it helps me to have normal feet and learn to go right.
    • Posted

Yes I went to Physical Therapy starting about week 4. I went a total of 19 times. It didn't change that part
  • Posted

Nancy

im a bilateral 5 month in, lapidus, Atkins and hammer toe release ... Until I read your post I hadn't tried to curl my major toes, I tried, and I can't.

it bends slightly but that's it. Also I can't write with either my right or left feet, just tried, I used to be able to but not anymore.

start physio at 10 weeks, and have had only 5 sessions so far.

walking, no problem so long as I'm  laced up trainers or boots, although the top of both feet and the 2&3 toes are still numb, and almost permently  swollen.

ummm, I think something to ask about next time I see the doctor or physio.

caroline

• Posted

I also had lapidus procedure with internal fixation and I can't move my big toe either. I'm 11 wks and no matter what I do it won't move. I think it takes a long time to get our movement back. Physical therapy will help. Unfortunately, my insurance doesn't cover this, so I'm on my own. I practice moving it everyday, but still have a difficult time moving it down. It will move back, but not down. I believe it's normal to take a long time to get back to normal. Good luck

Jen

• Posted

Thank you for responding! I don't find many people have had the Lapidus procedure so it is good to talk to some one who has. I have had 19 visits to Physical therapy but it hasn't changed this aspect. Do you also notice your toe moves back toward your body with just a light touch of your finger even if you are trying to hold it down? That is the part that doesn't seem right. I even had another podiatrist tell me that he would be concerned, but mine doesn't acknowledge there could be any problem.
    • Posted

I haven't found anyone with the same procedure. I even posted it as the topic and I had no response. How far along are you again?

I don't have the toe thing like you. My big toe is mostly stiff. I mean I can kinda move it toward the body, but that's it. I think once we get walking and moving more everything will be fine, but I would still ask your Dr again.

Did you ever experience burning fire feelings? I had it so bad in my 4th-6th wk. It was so bad that it woke me up in my sleep. I was scared it was nerve damage. As it turned out it was just bruised and had a really bad bloody calise from the bandage Being on too tight.

I'm 11 wks now and just started walking. I'm so glad to off crutches. Finally! I have been non weightbarring for almost 10 long wks. 2wks longer expected. That's because my Dr sch was full and I went out of town. How long are you expected for non weightbarring??

• Posted

Jennifer,

I was just given 6 weeks for non weight bearing, and given the OK to return to work then, but managed to sort out another 2 weeks before returning.

did you have a cast, or just bandages?

ive also been told that it will be a minimum of 12 months of recovery, although talking to a 47 yr old who had this procedure done 12 years ago, she said 12 months on crutches, then another 12 months until she was ok. Even now she has to be careful, no thonged shoes as they hurt ...

it's a long slow recovery time, just keep in there

caroline

• Posted

Hello,

I wore a bandage and a boot for a total of 10 long wks. I will be a total14wks when returning to work. I hope it's not too early as I am still having trouble walking. I too managed to squeeze 2more wks out from my Dr.

I know it takes a while to heal completely, but wow, 2yrs for your friend. Wow.

Well, wish you well

Jen

• Posted

Hi

you'll be amazed how far much more you can do in the nxt few weeks, I was dreading going back to work @ 8 weeks, managed to get a staged return, whch helped a lot as i was shattered even after a day, after 4 weeks i was almost back to normal (workwise - not feet)

Looking back on the past 10 weeks i'm amazed on how far i've come on, but, looking forward  - - - seems like a black hole that i'm dissappearing down.

every journey starts with one small step, but, it's trying to balance on it which is the problem.

I keep telling myself (as so does the physio) it's been a trumatic & major operation, patience woman!

Caroline

• Posted

Lol, that's what I tell myself; to be more patient. It seems like I take 4 steps forward then steps 3 back. My Dr says I was ready a week ago, but I can't see how. I'm just glad I was able to get a few more weeks out of him. My Dr is a really good sergen, but has horrible bedside manner. smile sometimes it hurts still so bad from walking that I hope I'm ready to work a 40 he week. I'm up to about 6 hours with a little more then a week to go before I get back to work. Patience...Patience, I know..

Well, I wish you all the best. And a healthy recovery.

Jen

• Posted

Hi I'm nearly 4 months post op I'm having same problem by big toe is still really swollen and numb and will not curl as the swelling is stopping it I have been discharged from hospital but I going to ring secretary next week to ask to be seen again when I walk it feels as though none not healed and can feel bits moving inside still painful when weight baring can't get rid of the limp !!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.