Am I obese and at risk for diabetes or other health issues?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey so I am a 21 year old guy. I'm 6' 1" and 350 lbs. I've never followed much of a diet routine, I typically eat whatever I want whenever I want. Generally I'll eat stuff like pizza and burgers and milk and soda. I don't workout, just takes too much effort and time. I enjoy the freedom of not being locked into a diet or exercise regiment. My family doesn't have any history of diabetes or heart disease so I assume I am safe and can afford to skimp in these regards. I think my blood pressure is fine too, it's like 130/85 around there.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Your GP can do a test to determine whether you are diabetic, pre diabetic or what your chances are of developing it with y0ur current health status and life style - just cos nobody in your family has it doesnt mean you cannot develop it - same goes for heart disease. I dont think you need anybody online to tell you that you are obese as your will know that yourself and as such therefore storing up health probs for later in life even if you are fit and well now. The best person to give you the advice you seek is a medical professional cos you could pickup bad advice online from some body who doesnt have a clue what they are talking about

• Posted

Hi Jimmy,

You say it takes too much time and effort to work out, then that shows you have a problem. So lack of energy is stopping you from exercising becasue of your weight issue and poor diet. What you consider food, is for many people 'non' food, and really you ought consider curtailing or even eliminating completely. Switching to a whole food oriented diet will make a huge difference to your well being and weight.

You say you are enjoying the freedom, yet that is an illusion, or will become so in the future, as your health starts to decline. You are at serious potential risk of heart issues, diabetes, arthritis, cancer and so on......

So my suggestion would be apart from the dietary change, to start daily walking, short regular to start with, building up distance and speed. To do this it would help to get some really good walking shoes or sandals, by such makers as Keen or Morrell. Proper foot ware will make a vast difference, as I found out myself. That alone can transform your state of being, from someone who doesn't want to do the walking into some one who is keen to do so. I didn't believe it myself, until I was pushed into it. The difference is profound.

I am a healer who was hit with a heart attack last summer, shocked that it happened to me. I am walking back to health 2 to 4 miles most days of the week at speed, and always feel so much better for doing it.

For you with so much weight and diet issues you are likely to be building up plaque in your coronary arteries and not even know it, until it is too late.

I got very lucky at 75, 6 resusitations!!, multiple stents, and still alive with minimal heart damage. I was told many times the following morning after the heart attack, how lucky i was to be alive.

I wish you that same luck with your future, just don't rely on it being luck, make it work for you. I hope you won't mind my intrusion into your life.

• Posted

Do not take anything for granted, just because you have no family history of the issues, doesnt mean you can cause them to come into your life. Watch your sugar intake, and fat intake, because such things may not cause effects straight away but over time. Sugar increases the chance of diabetes, and fats increase risks of heart problems. You are allowed to cheat the diet only if you work out very often, and eat healthy often.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.