Am i over reacting bout my mums level of care

Posted , 2 users are following.

My mum is becoming worse with her dementia. I do not live close enough to help. she lives alone but my sisters call into her but i am concerned she needs more care and not just maintained . Questions i have are, how long should she be left alone. She does have food and cold drinks  in the fridge and one hot meal  and hot drink a day made for her. She does't seem to do anything but sit at the table as no one can say exactly what she does  Her memory is fading and has become worse over time, no longer knowing us by name, or have a sensible conversation. My sisters sit and do crosswords and join her in,with help she sometimes gets the answer when made very simple for her.  No one is with her during the night. She refuses to go to anyones house and she refuses to have her hair washed and i don't know when she last had a bath. She has become childlike and she does laugh at things which is lovely.. My worry now is my sisters don't want her going into a home as they feel it will not do her any good and they themselves willl feel guilty and the emtions that go along with this is too much for them to bear.  My concern now is she really have the right quality of life living like this. I do not want my sisters thinking i am wading in dictating what they shold do but now i feel she needs more than they can give to her. ;(

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It is a question of safety more than anything.   Is she keeping her home warm?

Does she leave the house to go shopping,  could she get lost and confused?

Are Social services offering any help? 

• Posted

Has your mum got any grandchildren  or  Nephews or nieces, who could visit her and talk to her   and play board games with her.    They could  look through photograph albums with her  to get her memory and brain working.
  • Posted

Sounds like your mother is at the same stage as mine

The more the dementia progresses the more time family and friends will have to dedicate to your mothers cause

Having carers to visit is an option, but a costly one,also in my experience you cannot get any continuity in the carers,because there is such a big turnover in staff at these type of agencies

Dementia is not easy to deal with for the family,but with the "we're all in this together "attitude,you can cope.

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.