am I panicking?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I need some help. I'm still having assault and rape counselling but have encountered a problem that I've for help with. I'm worried I'll be thrown out of counselling because of reporting a receptionist, who was rude when I rang for support given that I'd had such frightening flashbacks that I didn't know what else to do about. Can you help to let me know if anyone else has ever had to report reception staff to an outside referral company due to 1 persons insensitivity. I'm really sickeningly worried that I've done the WRONG thing. What would you have done please help!

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Absolutely you were right to report them, these people have to be much more professional than you would expect, I've reported bad therapists even, it's what you should be and there will be no repercussions, for you anyways

• Posted

You did the right thing , if that receptionist was having a bad day then they shoukd of not went to work considering their job is to help people , that receptionist will realize what they dI'd wrong and hopefully change for the better, if not then that job isn't meant for that person. So again you did the right thing. I reported a 911 dispatcher before for attitude and then found out they were fired so that receptionist will probably get fired considering most those phone calls are recorded when it comes to helping people. Again you did the right thing

• Posted

Receptionist?  I would understand if it was some neanderthal who had just picked up the phone but this was the manager!  I won't ring there again, I've luckily thanks to my counsellor being given a helpline number like I should have been given 1st session apparently! 

• Posted

Well I am happy to hear that things seem to be getting better for you, I can't imagine what you went through in life and praying you can get through this, not everyone in this world is an a hole but yes there are.lots out there. All I can say is hang in there , keep your chin up and give your heart to the man upstairs because through years of life I realize that's all we really have, i'm not a holy roller and by no means am I trying to put religion on you but I know it's helped me through the years. So I am praying.for.you and pray that things get better for you

• Posted

Hi Sam,

Just wondered if you have spoken to Rape Crisis? They might be able to provide additional support to any that you are receiving via your GP. You could also mention the issue to your GP when you see them next. Is it "talking therapies" that you are having?

Shaz x

• Posted

Hi shaz, I don't think I've made myself clear, luckily through my own questioning of my last doctor last year this is where I rang!  I was told no initially then referred later in the year after speaking to a sister liaison company, who work with rape crisis!  They are a God send, well the counsellor is!  The manager needs to examine her attitude when people are going through horrendous flashbacks and ring for support, when they have been given NO other number to contact, as it was HER who was rude!

• Posted

Hi Sam,

My apologies! The only reason I mentioned Rape Crisis, was due to having a very supportive positive experience. I know there are phone lines that are available on an evening (I considered volunteering for them). As there are numerous services, including those provided directly by the NHS, I didn't realise that your counsellor was from Rape Crisis.

Either way, I am pleased that you are now getting the support they you need, and hopefully, you are finding it beneficial?

Best wishes - Sharon x

• Posted

Hi shaz, I agree they're a blessing disguise, I can't fault them!

• Posted

Sam, in my opinion some of the stress your are feeling should not play into your treatment. Stress is part and parcel with PTSD. If you are dealing with a truely professional counelor you should not be concerned. In fact I would say the counselor would welcome patient feedback about their receptionists. The receptionist is a support wing for the counselor. If the receptionist treats the conselor's patients with a lack of respect that directly reflects on the counselor. 

You did the right thing for yourself, the counselor and the other patients the counselor has. Fact is you took the initiative to bring the matter to the counselors attention.

• Posted

Sam,

I have to agree with Michael that any good counselor is going to care about how their staff conducts themselves.

I've been dealing with PTSD for a while now. Initially little things such as how the staff interacted with me or how the full the waiting room was would affect me. The receptionist needs to understand that these interactions can influence you in a negative way especially in the early stages of dealing with it.

Many hours of counseling later and several different medications I can say that I feel that I have my issue under control. But that doesn't mean that I don't remember what it was like when I started to actually face my problems.

I hope you continue to communicate open and honestly your counselor and wish you the best moving forward.

• Posted

Hi, I knew there was always a reason why I went onto this site initally! Thank you for your kind words, I have some updated information for you and it's of the good sort, something you don't often see on here!  I went very reluctantly back to my counsellor this week and I explained in writing how I felt about the reaction I had received. She was truly shocked that the manager had said these things, the poor woman agreed that it was a disgrace that I had to receive the brunt of the manager's anger that day and reassured me that I wouldn't be kicked out by her!  I was delighted that she should be so kind, I have luckily since been given a support line number for times outside counselling if things get too bad.  IF needs be my doctor does know what is going on and fully backs and supports what I'm doing.  I feel slightly better now and more supported.  I will get there, the content of what I'm speaking about is hard enough, but as yet I have had NO medication given to me, as my doctor feels I'm doing ok at the moment.  I should have been given the chance to do this years ago but had no confidence to do so and the whole issue was pushed under the carpet by my catholic family!  No wonder I had to shout help, or end my life was the other intention/possibility I could only consider last year.  I'm lucky that the counsellor I have is so good.  I dread the day I have to leave there, but know I am safe in the knowledge that I can have other support if I need it!  Oops sorry and thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.