Am I prediabetic?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm new to all this. Over the last 17 days I have taken random readings using ACCU 'prick and touch' instrument. The average fasting time was 7 hours and the average blood glucose reading was 5.8 mmols/L (same as 104 mg/dL).  

I don't drink alcohol or smoke. I'm inclined to 'eat when hungry and drink when dry'. I'm 12 stone 4 lbs and 5 feet 7 inches tall (or small - I'v shrunk) and I'm 81 years old. I'm not, and have nerver been, on a diet. Am I heading for Type 2? If so how can I avoid T2? Indeed, am I prediabetic?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi aquarius545

All that I can tell you is that as you do get older your body produces more sugar from its reserves.

When I was tested positive for diabetes, what they did was test your blood sugars before, then I was given a strong sugar based drink, then another blood sugar test 2 hours after to see if your body was able to deal with a high level of sugar. Also to compare the both reading. If the second reading was just as high then it was most likely that you would be diabetic. They then sent of a blood test.

if you think that you are, I would recommend that you contact your doctor's surgery. Your GP practice would have a nurse that is also trained in this field, but your GP is the best option.

Again if you think you are, don't leave it to late. I did and by the I found out the damage had been done. As during 2014, I have had 7 operations to save my feet as your circulation can be affected as well with diabetes and I have only been diabetic for 16 years.

• Posted

Hi Mark,

Thanks so much for your reassuring reply. I'm thinking that at this stage of my life and sugar levels I need to look at diet. What I mean by that is regularity of eating during my day and secondly what foods I eat. The first is a matter of self-discipline but the second is a matter of knowledge. From the bits I have already read, I thing my work is going to be cut out to sort through all the literature and suggestions on diet: wheather 'tis calorie intake or/and the calorie value in various foods. But then life is an ardous journey - but there are signposts! And, of course, if I work with my partner, God, 'twill be easier. Thank you and a happy and holy New Year. Eamon  

• Posted

Happy New Year to you as well aquarius545. I must say that you don't want to cut out all forms of sugars, as the sugars in your diet is the main source of food that your brain needs. I was told that when you get a headache, then it is down to a lack of sugar.

• Posted

The reading is not that  high  but if you are worried  get your doctor to send a  blood test  to the lab  for you  better to be safe than sorry  but  you do get a higher  reading as you get  older  I  did and i am  69 but even though my reading  after  eating was  over 9.0 my blood test  came  back saying no  further action  you are not pre  diabetic
    • Posted

Hi Barbara, (and Mark),

Thank you for your encouraging reply. 

Just to add a bit more. 

Yesterday 2/1/2015 my blood reading was 5.3 before 09:30 breakfast of porridge (no salt or sugar) + sandwich of marmalade and coffee. An hour and a half later, at 11:00, it had jumped to 10.1. At that time I took a Hot dirnk of lemon+Honey+disprin for a chest cold. After a sleep of 4 hours to 15:00 it read 4.8. I had dinner of stir fry + berries and cream. An hour later it read 6.4. 4 readings since then have been 6.3, 6.0, 6.4, 6.2 Now on 3/1/15 am about to see what it is ----- it is 10.2 !!!! It is now 14:00, had breakfast at 11:00 at which time the reading was 6.2. It is these fluctuations that have me concerned. There does not seem to be any good reason for this jump to 10.2.

Eamon

• Posted

Hi ther was no reason  for mine to go over  9 either  yet it  did and yet  the  doc  says  i am not  pre diabetic so would  advise  you to  get your  doc  to send a  full blood  count  to  be tested  so you can put your mind at   rest either way
    • Posted

I have just seen part of your diet and to what I can see is that you are not diabetic (in my opinion). But with the marmalade and honey, the both products would raise your sugar levels. Also as you are aware honey would be the best thing to have in your diet being a natural sugar along with fruit.
  • Posted

A fasting test is not as reliable an indicator as the glucose-load test that mark357 describes, and the thresholds at fasting have been developed by correlating them against the glucose-load. My doctor always does the fasting level before 10 am., and I am warned to eat nothing after 8pm or sometimes 9pm the previous day. I usually sleep between midnight and 8am. So all these factors have to be just right for the fasting level to be reliable. Following this protocol should save you money on the test strips. The fasting level seems to be particularly sensitive to the presence of fat around the intestines, as this tends to cause a glucose spike during the night.

However, I was marginally diabetic for a few months only (although I could have been an "unknown diabetic" earlier), then passed 3 glucose load tests, but nevertheless developed early retinipathy. I cured this, over 3 years, by going onto a high-greens, low carbohydrate diet.

That diet is also associated with lower cancer incidence, and lower incidence of cataracts. At 64 years old, I am going to stick with this diet for the rest of my life. The only snag is constipation, which is relieved by taking psyllium husks in water before two meals, and putting turmeric onto meat, which increases bile production (cabbage, and perhaps other greens, decreases it).

I learnt about this diet from web pages. It has saved my eyes and I am sticking with it.

• Posted

I'm 72 and have T2 insulin-dependent diabetes. All that's been said before I quite agree with. You need to realise that your blood sugar levels go up and down during the day. This is normal. It is therefore important that you measure blood sugar levels at appropriate times and 2 hrs after a meal is one of those times because your BS should have returned ot 'normal' by that time. The other time is after a longer period of fasting when your BS should also be 'normal' because the values should not change very much over this period. So if you are worried about being prediabetic then ask your doctor to get your Hba1c measured from a blood sample. This particular reading gives a meassure of your BS values over several weeks and is an accurate reflection of your diaebtic state. If you do have T2 diabetes, then you can start management of the problem (there is no cure) by watching what you eat and seeing if you can identify any foods that are worse than others for increasing your BG. Carbohydrates, inluding sugar, should be minimised but not eliminated from your diet. (They give you energy). Ideally you want your BG vales to be more than 4 mmol/L and less than 11 mmol/L as thes values are used to set the limits for hypoglycaemia and hyperglycaemia respectively. 7 mmol/L is the 'ideal' value.
  • Posted

Looking at "healthy weight chart", you are about 1/2 the way across "overweight", the next category being "obese". Since I am 3 inches taller than you, at 12 stone 12lb. I am 1/3 across overweight, and am trying to get down to 12 stone. So you probably have quite a bit of fat around your intestines, and this tends to make glucose spike from time to time. Since you are 17 years older than me, you have probably lost a good deal of muscle. Because of the marmalade sandwich, you are eating a lot of quick-release glucose at breakfast, and you could very usefuly eat eggs instead, which would build your muscles if you exercised. Since breakfast appears your problem meal, 10 minutes walking after it should increase the amount of glucose take-up by your muscles, for up to 24 hours. I think these few simple measures would get your blood-glucose back to better levels. You are getting 10 after your breakfast, whilst anything above 8 is considered diabetic. But that breakfast contains an awful lot sugar and carbohydrates in general.

• Posted

I'm sorry about this but I'm wondering just why you are checking your blood sugars? Is there a history of late onset diabeties in your family. If you are worried you may be prediabetic go and see your doctor and inform him or her of your worries.

your blood sugar isn't that high from fasting for 7hours, they are within normal range. Mark 357 is right our bodies do change as we get older but this doesn't mean you will end up being diabetic. Please please go and see your GP for proper advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.