Am I premenapausal?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I am in my 40s and did not have a normal period this month. Instead I have had a very spotty period that has lasted two weeks. Is this normal?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

In perimenopause, our hormones are bouncing all over the place.  I once had a periods that lasted 10 days.   Then periods that were light, and others that were heavy with clots.  They became more irregular, bouncing from 23 days to 31 days apart.  It is not unusual to experience odd periods or cycles.  

• Posted

Hi there, this is completely normal from my experience. I started getting these symptoms from the age of 37 and eventually had a hysterectomy at 47. My cycles varied from 2 weeks bleeding and 2 weeks off (4 week cycle) to 1 week bleeding, 1 week spotting and 1 week off (3 week cycle). I once bled for almost 3 weeks and eventually went to the doctor and was prescribed hormones to stop the bleed. You need to keep a record of your cycles and if necessary go to your doctor for advice. 
    • Posted

Hey there Pauline thanks so much for putting my mind at ease. I have been thinking all along I am doing to die of uterine cancer lol....but it sounds like what I am expericing is normal. WOW you had those symptoms at 37!! That is young. 
  • Posted

I probably had my very first abnormal cycle in my mid 40s.  Then everything would be fine for awhile.  I think it is absolutely normal to have a bizarre period here and there when you hit your 40s.  It's only been in the last 2 years (around the time I hit 50) that I've been getting consistently irregular cycles.  Lucky for me, I am skipping months rather than having periods closer together.

It was all unsettling at first because I was so regular all of my life.

• Posted

Thanks Chris for confirming for me. Yeah that is what is probably going on with me...having the change of life thing lol. That's great that you are skipping months...that must be nice! lol  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.