Am I reacting badly to Vitamin D supplements?

Posted , 6 users are following.

A few months ago, a blood test showed that I have low Vitamin D (which I know is because I don't go out in the sun), and my doctor told me to start taking a supplement. I picked one up in my local pharmacy, on the bottle it says Vitamin D 1000IU (Cholecalciferol 25mcg). It also says to take it with food, so I always take it after breakfast but sometimes up to an hour after eating, not sure if that matters.

Initially I took 1 capsule each day for about 5 days. Prior to this point I had been doing quite well for a while and not suffering much from CFS symptoms. Over the next week however, I began experiencing low blood pressure-related symptoms (feeling very cold, extremely nauseous, dizzy and like I was about to pass out) particularly when waking up in the morning with an empty stomach. After about 5 days of taking the vitamin D I stopped taking it because I got a virus, and forgot to start taking it again when I got better. At the time I didn't connect my dizziness etc with taking the supplement.

However a few days ago my doctor reminded me to take vitamin D again so I started it again. And over the past few days I've had a recurrence of the symptoms described above. I skipped taking it today and felt much better.

It seems odd that a vitamin supplement would have this effect, so I'm wondering, has anyone else with CFS had strange reactions to vitamin D specifically? Or any particular brand or dosage of vitamins?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Go ask your pharmacist they are the drug experts. I take a supplement and no problems. are you sure its pure Vitamin D and doesn't include something else 

• Posted

As far as I can see from the packaging it's pure vitamin D yeah.

• Posted

Any kinda of change tend to have an effect on me. It’s amazing how fragile we are. Sometimes I believe these type of events could be a detox, but I’m so afraid to fall further backwards. Not sure you will ever know for sure...good luck.
  • Posted

Yes I feel very nauseous taking vit d. Someone told me you can try opening the capsules and rubbing on the skin. Or try a spray version. May suit you better 
  • Posted

Vitamin D is actually a hormone . unlike other vitamins. When I need a boost in levels my GP always prescribes a course of it. . I don't take it all the time. Infact I don't take any supplements . I had hypoallergenic ones for years ( Lambert's) . but I never felt any better . and had awful adverse effects from oral magnesium . The effects you describe grailmoth , are just about the same as I had from oral magnesium . plus it made me vomit too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.