Am I really diabetic.

Posted , 8 users are following.

The GP says I have type 2 diabetes but what does that really mean. I haven't got a sickness from some bug, could it mean that really I have chosen a poor life style. Perhaps I have eaten the wrong foods, got too heavy and haven't taken enough exercise. I am over 20 stone. Is the problems I am suffering really my own fault.

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

your blood test will tell you,if you are diabetic.My first indication,I had it, I awoke one morni ng,and my bed was spinning fast, took me awhile to stop it, went to emergency and thats how i found out.Do you eat alot of sweet food??
    • Posted

My blood sugars readings are normally high, above 10. I normally feel a bit tired and don't feel much like going out.

I don't eat any sweet stuff, my only carbohydrates are porridge, brown rice and boiled potatoes.

I recon it is because I let myself get heavy in the first place.

My mother was diabetic, she was over weight to but died at 84. I suppose it could be hereditary but I don't like blaming things I have no control of.

Thank you for your kind reply. I do have difficulity getting my head around this subject.

• Posted

I think you've covered most of the possible causes except age.

What medication (if any) have you been prescribed and what was your HbA1c blood test reading?

• Posted

Do you know, I have heard of this HbA1c but I don't have a clue what mine is.

I can tell you that I am 62 if that means anything to you.

It's all a bit of a mistery to me.

Thank you for your reply.

• Posted

Age is one of the contributary factors you can do nothing about as too is the fact that diabetes can be inherited.
    • Posted

in my cse my a1c test is always in thne ra nge,as for mecication i take 4 metformin and one januvia each day, and i exercise 2 to 3 times a day ,m at 15 minute intervals
  • Posted

Hi. The questions you ask regarding the cause of type 2, and the answers you have given yourelf suggest that you are aware that you may have helped the onset of diabetes. However, some people are pre-disposed to becoming diabetic so don't be too hard on yourself. Use this time to reflect on where you can make changes to your lifestyle. Can you reduce the amount of carbs/high sugar food you eat, are you able to walk more? It will take a while to get your head around the diagnosis, and, if like me, you will be in denial for a bit. 

I was diagnosed just over 3 years ago. I was the fittest and healthiest that I had ever been, I was still a couple of stones overweight, but I was strong having come back home form 6 months back packing. I had to spend a week in hospital due to how poorly I was, and I was treated as type 1 - insulin dependent. 18 months later the medics realised that I was type 2. By this time I was now about 5.5 stone overweight (in part due to too much insulin in my system). For the past 18 months or so I have been on 4 metformin tablets and one injection of liraglutide a day. My weight has come down by about 1.5 stone.

I still struggle with my sugars and my weight, but I am slowly getting there. I know my bad days are just that - bad days - they do not turn into weeks, or longer. I take the condition more seriously now so that I never become as ill as I was before being diagnosed. I know it is a slow process, but you will get there and with a good medical team supporting you it will become easier.

Please do not blame yourself - use the time to work out what you want from life and get yourself there. You cannot change the past, but you can mould the future. 

Good luck.

• Posted

I think you are right, I am in denial. I am too heavy and that is a major part of the problem. It is very hard to get your act together when you are 62.

I often feel a part of the problem is stress, I do tend to worry a lot.

Thank you for your help.

• Posted

HbA1c is a three monthly blood test that gives an average reading of your sugar. It measures(i think ) protein in your blood. Amazing really. Mine was 9 which is the same for the previous 3 months too. My doctor prescribed a further tablet for me to take daily called Glizacide which assists the pancreas in providing insulin. However,. he was a bit reluctant as he was aware I have been ill for all those months (with lung congestion) and I have not been able to exercise. I am a cyclist and would normally do 150 to 200 miles a week. I found out I was T2 on a routine blood test about 3 years ago. It showed 11. I set out to reduce carbs (which I needed for racing) and cut all sugary things like buns cakes sweets chocolate - I could go on. In a year my weight had dropped to 9 stone (my racing weight was 10.7) but at least my readings went down to 7 (recommended is 6 -7).

My illness has been a real nightmare and I miss my cycling. I should mention that I am now 82. I celebrated my 80th by driving down to Provence and climbing Mont Ventoux of Tour de France fame. I made it into British Cycling Magazine.  So do not give up Bob. Dedication to beating this 'quiet' disease is in your hands. Many so called overweight people have endedup with'normal' readings after applying themselves to diet and exercise.   Good luck mate

• Posted

Thank you for your comments, it does make me think that I should be making a lot more effort.
  • Posted

Shame on your doctor for not giving you more information. You should go to a website call American diabetes org. obviously you're not in America but it is a very good website full of very good information on diabetes. That should get you started. I've just been diagnosed with prediabetes and that website was recommended to me. Give it a try it may answer a lot of your questions. Also your doctor should refer you to a class that will teach you how to eat with diabetes 2.

• Posted

For some it might well be genetic for other's it could well be lifestyle related and for others still unknown. My mom was a T2 yet she was all of 115 pounds and very active at the time she was diagnosed (had 0 signs of it), she was always diet controlled for the last 40 years of her life, last 10 years of her life (she passed at 88) she managed to get her a1c between 4.6 and 4.8 just though what she ate. So it's possible to make it work once you figure out what works for you and your glucose control. 

• Posted

Dear Nyxks,

Your comments really make me think, your mum sounds a really fit lady. It makes me think that we are missing some valuable information we need to solve the diabetes problem.

I appreciate your input to the discussion.

Best regards

bobcrachet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.