Am I showing symptoms of hypomania?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've had depression for over 2 years now, including a period where it was very severe. I am currently on 20mg Fluoxetine which seems to be helping with both depression and crippling anxiety.

In recent weeks/months I've often found myself filled with energy and excitement for no real reason. I'll find it hard to concentrate or even sit still and I'll need to channel the energy out somehow or I'll become frustrated. I can go on walks that last a number of hours and not feel the need to stop. However, I'll then have a day where I'll be exhausted and struggle to leave my room or I'll be both tired and elevated. I'll also have a number of days or weeks where I'll return to my depression before the energy kicks back in.

I know there are number of things that could be causing this such as my antidepressants or possibly an overactive thyroid but I have noticed the following as well:

I often have racing thoughts or I'll feel noticeably more important than I really am (but not to the point where I'll have delusions). This is very unusual for me since I have long term self-esteem problems. I also sometimes sleep less and I've done more shopping than usual. These aren't alarming since I'm not putting myself in any serious debt and when I lose sleep it'll only be 1-3 hours, however I am not the type to do much shopping and I usually rely on plenty of sleep to function. Sometimes I have impulsive urges but I never act on them.

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hey, that sounds like me when I was first diagnosed with bipolar, my current psychologist thinks cyclothymia which is a lower form of it but bipolar type 2 fits better. They stopped me on fluoxetine just in case it progressed to mania and ive tried several different drugs now that have done nothing for me I'm currently on quetiapine. I'd go see your gp and express this to them if you feel it could be getting to a point that you feel your judgment is becoming impaired. I wish I could have stayed in the state you are in now but if it had progressed to full mania it could have caused serious problems obviously.

Sounds like it could be but I really hope for your sake that it's just an end to your depression. Take care x

• Posted

Thank you. I am reluctant to stop taking the fluoxetine because it has helped so much with my anxiety but I understand that it may be necessary. I've been extremely down these past few days so I'll speak to my gp about it all soon. Hope everyting works out for you.
  • Posted

Hi Ellie

It was very similar for me when I was first medicated for bipolar.  I was on an anti-depressant and a mood stabiliser (Sodium Valproate) but the hypomania continued so they put me on an anti-psychotic as well (risperidone).  Eventaully the hypomania stopped and I was able to come off the mood stabiliser. and since then I've been stable for years.  Currently I take Citalopram 40mg, Risperidone 3mg and Diazepam as required, recently I was put on Hydroxyzine for my alergies and I've found this has a miraculous anti-anxiety quality so I'm hoping to come off the diazepam soon, wish me luck and all the best to you too.

xxxx

• Posted

Hi there,

Just wondering how you got on with this, did you get a diagnosis in the end? This sounds almost identical to my situation. I've had a meeting with the CMHT but just said I have depression and practically ignored my extreme high moods. Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.