Am I the only one who has no problems with PPI

Posted , 9 users are following.

Not trying to be argumentative or dismissive of others problems as I am sure they are real to those experiencing them. I have been on esomeprazol for 15 years between 80mg and 20mg per day. No side effects, no deficiencies whatsoever as I am regularly checked, nothing apart from the capsules burnt my stomach so now just have tablets which are kinder. I am reading all these posts and wondering am I only the person who finds they do the job, cause me no problems and as I need them will stay on them until such time as I don't. I am under medical supervision so am happy that any changes or problems brought in by NICE will be passed into me. Ranitidine do make me a bit dizzy but nothing apart from that.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I've been on otc Prilosec for about 3 yrs. I haven't had the issues some have. My gastroenterologist did mention he wanted to wean me off them. I tried and it backfired terribly.

• Posted

I did manage to come off for 2 months but acid still there so went back on. No point being in pain if something works for me. I would prefer not to take anything but not that lucky

• Posted

I was on them for about 4 years and then the symptoms of muscle tightness/weakness/anxiety started showing up and decided to taper off PPIs. It took another 2 years for side effects to start subsiding. I am in year 3 since discontinuing PPIs but it is a grind everyday. Good days and bad days but still seeing incremental improvement. I really hope you are like youngatheart1 and experience no side effects over the long term. Just based on the members on this forum, you two are definitely in the minority. Too many of us are experiencing the same types of side effects. Best of luck and health to you.

• Posted

Glad to hear you are getting better. Its sad that people get these problems and strange that not all of us do. I can honestly say I have had nothing apart from the burning stomach from the plastic capsules. I guess I am one of the lucky ones. Take care

• Posted

I don't have problems with them either but Forums attract those who have problems and are seeking help.

• Posted

I agree there are some real scary stories on here which are surely not that helpful, I am only looking as have a slight sore throat recently and wondered if it was connected. I expect it is so not too worried.

• Posted

I have been on Omeprazole capsules, 20 to 40 mgs, because of a bleeding ulcer two years ago. A year ago, I attempted to reduce and change meds but ended up in ICU for another bleed. Tried Rantidine for one day and stopped as it gave me hives.So, I am stuck with 20 mgs morning dose and extra strength Tums with Vit D3 in the evening (recommendation from doctor). Pain in left side seems to be going away. After hearing of so many people taking Omeprazole for many many years, I have stopped worrying about taking it. I did not know of the tablet form. Perhaps that is what I should be taking. I don't get much information from my doctor.

• Posted

I found out by accident after taking highly coloured antibiotics in capsules that the plastic burnt my stomach and GP changed me to tablets as he said I was allergic to that form of pill and best too change, the burning went, worth asking your gp as I was getting pain all across stomach.

• Posted

My last doctor had been taking it for eight years without a problem. He said that the only time he stopped it was when he went to 'mucky' countries on holiday as he then wanted an acid stomach to ward of bugs.

• Posted

I have been taking Omeprazole for around 10 years. i have not had any side affects except sometimes if I take them on an empty stomach they make me sick. If I dont take it for 1 day I will get heart burn with anything I eat or drink. i plan on staying on it cause its the only thing that works for me.

• Posted

Interesting that you can't take it on an empty stomach as my drug instructions advise. My problem is for stomach ulcer, not Gerd if that makes any difference.

• Posted

How long have you hd the ulcer ? Have you not had the Triple Therapy for it ?

• Posted

When the ulcer (caused by long term Ibuprofen) first erupted, I was given daily doses, some more often than others: 40 mgs Omeprozole, Sucrafate, Dicyclomine, Clarithromycin, Metronidazole, and Amoxicillin in addition to probiotic, vitamins, and 7 mgs Prednisone for my autoimmune disease PMR. Would that be considered Triple Therapy? The ulcer erupted two years ago after being given a blood thinner after undergoing knee replacement. One year ago, I had a second eruption when trying to reduce/change PPI medication and had to take the above described meds again.

• Posted

You had a really bad time.

The triple therapy cured my ulcer but gave me months of later stomach pain that no reason was found for.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.