Am taking 400 mg of multaq twice a day for afib, have pacemaker, can dosage be cut in half. It is a.

Posted , 2 users are following.

am taking 400 mg of multaq twice a day for afib have a pacemaker can dosage be cut in half?? it is a very expensive proprietary drug .

any experience out there with multaq???

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I took Multaq for about six months. For part of that time I cut them in half or in 2/3. I still got A-fib about twice a month. (Average 24 hours, BPM 130). I quit as it wasn't doing me any good and I felt like a zombie. I have been referred to an electrophysioligist. We tried a low dose of Diltiazam and Flecainade and I got A-fib three times in one week, although at a lower heart rate. Now we are trying Diltiazam alone, to see if I can tolerate it and if it will do me some good.

I have never heard of a pacemaker in conjunction with an anti-arrythmic drug, but I am not a medical professional. My new EP talked about using a pace-maker, but then destroying the electrical system. That way you would be entirely dependant on the pacemaker, but would never have A-fib again! This is a last resort remedy, and I would rather not go that route, but I thought you might be interested in learning about it.

• Posted

according to sanofi, who makes multaq you have to take 400 mg twice a day for it to work. i have had an ablation to get rid of afib hut it came nack multaq seems to work but i wondered if anyone else had a similsr situation but was able to cut dosage in half i guess not.

thanks for response

• Posted

dont let them destroy electrical system.!!! an ablation might work. it only destroys some of the electrical firing mechanism in the heart but gets rid of afib.

• Posted

they dont do cardio ablation at my age. I did not like the idea of destroying the electric system and relying on the pacemaker alone. not even considering it at this point. multaq did not work for me, not even a full dose. you could try cutting the pills, either in half or in two thirds, as i did. it might work for you. everybody is different.. thanks for your comments.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.