Amber Macvicar 05-03-2018 22:02:20

Posted , 1 user is following.

For the past 4 years I have dealt with really bad knee problems( swelling,pain,locking and discolouration) due to me being a very athletic person this began to affect my performance majorly, but everytime I went to the doctor I was told it was just growing pains but I always suspected different . Last year I seen another doctor and he explained to me that I had damaged the ligaments in my right knee. After being referred to both podiatry and physio for 9 months I was told there was no improvement and there was nothing they could do for me . Throughout the past year my hip pain has come one tremendously to the point where i can no longer walk without a limp and when doing any activity the pain intensifies no matter how simply it was . I went on to the orthopaedic department to go over my knee injury however there was no bone damage and went on to x-ray my hip and finally diagnose me with hip dysplasia. I have now been waiting for 8 months for an appointment with the orthopaedics again. This week I have been experiencing really intense sharp pains in my left hip( the one that doesn't have hip dysplasia) this happens when moving left to right or when moving or going to sit. This sharp pain causes me to stop myself as I feel as though if I carry on my leg will give way with the pain.. I am just wondering if anyone might know or have experienced this at all?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Amber, I had intense sharp pains in my hip joint due to bone-on-bone osteoarthritis, which meant I needed a total hip replacement, which I had. Sounds to me like you need to see an orthopedist and have a physical exam and x-rays and/or other imaging done to give you a proper diagnosis and treatment plan. Hoping you will get this absolutely necessary professional help.
    • Posted

Thank you very much for the information, previous doctors have mentioned about getting bloods but nothing has been done so far as they think I might be too young as I’m only 16, I am going away to see an orthopaedic at the end of this week so hopefully something will be done as it’s affecting me more often than usual now, thanks again 
    • Posted

Amber, if you are suffering with pain and are debilitated, it is never too young to get proper examinations, imaging and testing. There is no reason you should not get proper medical care, whatever your age. Best of luck to you!
    • Posted

Hi Annie, just to let you know I didn’t get away to my appointment as my plane got cancelled, I phoned up and explained the situation and they understood. Today I got a letter through the door from the hospital and they’ve now kicked me off the waiting list.
    • Posted

So, Amber, what waiting list are you now off of? The one to get an appointment with orthopedics? It sounds like you very much need help. Can your parents advocate for you in addition to your own efforts?
    • Posted

I’m off the orthopaedic waiting list, it’s the second time they’ve tried to do it and each time they’ve said it’s because I didn’t phone saying I wasn’t coming when I did each time,just tired of waiting around getting my hopes up of getting something done and I get let down.  
    • Posted

That sounds so wrong. Anyone, of any age, with ongoing, sharp, intense pains in the hip should get immediate attention. A simple x-ray, easily done, could give them loads of information. It should not take 8 days, much less 8 months and counting, to get help. Please ask your parents, or anyone else in authority, to help you get the medical attention that you deserve and are entitled to. Age 16 is too young to be relying only on yourself with this big of a problem. Best of luck, Amber!
    • Posted

Finally managed to get away to the appointment at a later date and they said that they still do not have a proper diagnosis yet and I’m going out in a week to get 2 or 3 MRI scans to hopefully get to the bottom of it 
    • Posted

I'm glad you are getting the scans to help with diagnosis! You need x-ray, too - much cheaper and easier - and I hope you get that, too. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.