Amiodarone 200. I need to know how long amiodarone stays in your system, I take one daily.

Posted , 7 users are following.

My doctor has now told me to forget Wednesday and the weekend.  Has anyone else done this ? I live in dread of the rattle starting again, using amiodarone has given me back a normal life. I am very interested to hear peoples opinions. THANKYOU.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I had bee taking 200mg a day until about a month ago when my doctor changed to my taking it Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I have not noticed any difference.
    • Posted

Hi, So you have been doing this for a month. I really want to know how long the drug stays in your system, funny how both our doctors changed our meds - - ummmm . what are they not telling us?  Hopefully a professional can answer my question. Good luck to you mack.
    • Posted

Just google the history of amiodarone.

Did your doctor prescribe it ? It should only be prescribed by cardiologists and even then with caution. I take it you read the patient leaflet with the tablets ?

• Posted

Normally a high dosage is prescribed initially to fully get it into your system and then reduced to the required dosage.  Once it is in your system it is there for a very long time.
  • Posted

I've heard amiodarone can stay in your system for up to a year after discontinuing it.

I've been on if for 2 years.

• Posted

Having some abnormal kidney function tests. Not sure if it's from the amiodarone or not as the percentage for this side effect is low, about 2%. Waiting on an appointment with the nephrologist.

Also, Amiodarone-Induced Vortex Keratopathy. I guess that is quite common and would go away once the drug was stopped. Just watching it for now. I was prescribed amio for it's intended purpose, which is vt/vf, as a last resort. I was shocked from my ICD 7 times and had anti tachycardia pacing 5 times all within a 20 day period.

Toxic drug but it works..

• Posted

That is the problem it does what they want but tries to destroy you and reacts badly with many other drugs.
  • Posted

Amiodarone can stay in your system at least half a year.  After my loading dose, I worked my way down to 400mg, then 200mg. I stayed on 200mg per day for about 6 months. Doctor then wanted to try 100 mg per day to see if going that low would still work for me.  He wasn't comfortable that it was working for me until 5-6 months had past, presuming it would take my body that long to actually get down to 100 per day level in my cells. I seem to be stable on 100mg per day, so I'm thankful. They really want you to take the least amount possible to minimize the possibility of the toxicity side effects showing up. I'm good so far. My brother has had some minor thyroid effects, but not requiring meds for it. I haven't heard of this alternating days approach. If you think about it, it's pretty similar to taking 100mg per day.  Since amio stays in your system so long, going every other day is probably no different than taking a smaller amount daily. I've been on it for about 1.5 years, after receiving two shocks from my implanted defibrillator, each about two months apart.

• Posted

I was on Amiadarone  and it has damaged my eyesight.  I quit taking it before my Dr. told me to.  It stays in your body about 6 months after you quit taking it.  There is no way I would take that drug.  I don't want to lose my eyesight.  It is a very dangerous drug in my opinion.  I'm still ticked at my Dr. for prescribing it knowing one of the side effects is that it can cause blindness..  I still have like a white blind that covers my eyes.  It happens a lot when I am driving. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.