AMIODARONE EYE PROBLEMS

Posted , 15 users are following.

I WAS PRESCRIBED AMIODARONE FOR AN AF CONDITION. THIS DRUG TAKES APPROX. 8 WEEKS TO BE ABSORBED BY ALL THE TISSUES IN THE BODY BEFORE IT BECOMES EFFECTIVE. AFTER 9 WEEKS, I STARTED WITH BLURRED VISION (A KNOWN SIDE-EFFECT). I CONSULTED MY GP, SHOWED HIM THE DRUG WARNING LEAFLET, WHICH STATES 'EYE PROBLEMS'. BUT HE DENIED IT WAS NOT THE DRUG. AND KEPT ME ON AMIODARONE. IT STATES IN THE BNF THAT BLINDNESS CAN OCCUR WITH THIS DRUG. I HAVE FOUND LITERATURE, FROM USA, BY DR MICHAEL ROSENBERG, WHERE HE BELIEVES THAT THE MICRO DEPOSITS OF THE DRUG CLING TO THE WALLS OF THE TINY BLOOD VESSELS, RESTRICTING THE FLOW OF BLOOD TO THE OPTIC NERVE. I AM NOW REGISTERED BLIND AND I BELIEVE THAT THE DRUG WAS RESPONSIBLE. HAS ANYBODY ELSE SUFFERED EYE PROBLEMS OR BLINDNESS AND NOT RELATED THEM TO THE DRUG?

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

for the US, since the Statute of Limitations vary by state, it is important to consult a lawyer as soon as the harm becomes apparent.  
  • Posted

I have recently stopped taking amiodarone but my eyes are so blurry I have trouble reading.  Has anyone had their eyes improve after stopping the drug and will it get worse?
    • Posted

It probably causes more than one eye problem. In my case it caused floaters and deposits on my cornea that blurred my vision. They resolved in time after stopping it,

If you read back you will see that I had a later problem with blurred vision. That is back again in one eye and now they suggest that it is caused by dryness in that eye and again a deposit on the cornea that I have just started using drops for.

• Posted

hello karaoke

you are right, I am in my late thirties and was taking amiodarone for almost two years.  It caused me eyesight problems also.  Your doctor should have your best interests at heart.   I am not a complainer and I see neither are you.  You are just looking out for yourself and rightly so.  I had to changed my GP because I could not talk to her I had to listen and I needed a doctor to meet me on my level as a patient.  I had almost 5 years of arrhythmias  resulting in many visits to A & E. If you do not feel like you are listened to the change your doctor.  There are good ones out there and even though your current doctor does not agree with you it does not mean anything. So just go with someone you feel at ease with.  It can be distressing when you are given medications and not expected to give any feedback as to how they are making you feel. I also have to tell you that amiodarone caused my thyroid damage so please look into it.  

Ana36 x

• Posted

I have and a friend of mines husband has same problem and eye doctor denies it and primary you should go to stop Amarodene site

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.