Amiodarone for AF

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had an RF ablation for AF 4 weeks ago. Since then I have hade almost daily episodes of AF  and ectopics. Saw my EP today and he has prescribed Amiodarone 200mg x1 daily for six weeks  to help me cope with the episodes until the so called 3 months ‘blanking’ period is up. Just wondering what other people’s experience of this drug are and also has anyone had a bad reaction after ablation like me and did it eventually get better? 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

No bad reaction..But had to be on it for a kidney stone berber and after procedure as in af a lot before ablation. Can damage lungs I think so do not be on it too long according to my doctor.
  • Posted

Hi there!

Amiodarone is a powerful drug with considerable side effects, but as with all meds prescribed by your doctor it’s best to do your research and discuss it with him/her. There may be alternatives that are a lot less toxic and problematic!

A couple of years ago I was hospitalised with a severe bout of AFib, and was given Amiodarone intravenously and then tablets- I was scheduled for an ablation but after 5 day’s reverted to nsr with the meds. I have Hashimoto’s disease (autoimmune) and the Amiodarone almost destroyed what was left of my thyroid. It’s a horrible drug and is usually only prescribed for life-threatening arrhythmias. Of course you must follow your doctor’s recommendations but a second opinion might be a good plan. I’ve been on Flecainide which is not perfect but doesn’t seem to wreak havoc in the body like Amiodarone.

How was your ablation? Can you notice a difference with your condition? Good luck! Xx 

• Posted

Hi Maura, I have had two ablations for PAF.  After my second one last November I was fine fo the first two weeks and then had AF attacks every couple of days.  Ectopics on a daily basis.  Something I had not suffered with before,

Tachy runs, palpatations frequently.  Really despaired that I had  mesed my heart up.  I am much more settled now  but it took a good 6-7 months.  The PAF is still with me and happen once or twice a week.  Just lately they last for just 3-4hours (they were 12-20 hours)  I take flecainide as a pill in the pocket, so take 200mg when the attack starts,  I never had any other med.  

MY EP thinks it's worth one more Ablation so booked in for mid Otober. Hoping I will not react so badly  post procedure but who knows!  Feel I have to give it one more go but as I have had AF for approx 9 years it is something I have learn't to live with.  Most attacks are at night so I can manage to sleep once the flecc kicks in.  I take things easy if in AF during the day so as not to put my body under too much pressure (I am retired)

Fingers crossed your ectopics won;t take as long as mine to settle and also that you are not in the 10% for whom ablation does not work!  Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you all for replying, I’m certainly doing my research on this drug! I’m supposed to take it for 6 - 8 weeks so hopefully not long enough to do too much damage.....
    • Posted

Hi Maura 

I had a really bad reaction on the first day of taking Amiodarone,  if you are on blood thinners the doctor should have told you that this drug can really interfere with INR.  I wouldn't advise anyone to take this drug.  As others have said do your research it is called a black drug by doctors and when you read up on it you will know why.  

• Posted

I was on amiodarone for 6 months before my ablation and 3 months after.  It is a last resort drug but it was the only one that kept my heart in rhythm.  You must insist that you doctor test you for negative side affects that could affect your liver, kidneys, eyes, lungs, and thyroid.  I was lucky in that the only negative for me was a slight elevation in my thyroid count, which came back to normal 4 months after stopping.  Good luck to you.  Just make you get get tested.  Also you should know that sometimes the first ablation doesn't work, but the success rate of that first one is cumulative towards the second, so that's a good thing.  my goal was to get off all the rotten meds, and I was able to do so -- with the exception of eliquis.

• Posted

Thank you Suzanne, that’s very reassuring. I haven’t actually started taking it yet because since it was prescribed my heart has been in perfect rhythm! I’m hoping I might have turned a corner but don’t want to get my hopes up just yet. Thank you again for your sound advice.
  • Posted

I was put on Amiodarone for two months following my ablation (200 mg 1x daily for one month, 100 mg 1x daily the following month) and had absolutely no problems with it.  The doctor warned me that if I read about it online I would read about all kinds of horrible side effects but that most of those were from long term usage and I was only going to be on it a short time.
  • Posted

I had my first AF attack at end of May this year and have since had another 2, was rushed to hospital for first 2 attacks and given emergency medication of Amiodorone 

After 2nd attack when I was discharged I was given Aniodorone 200mg x 3 per day however my cardiologist took me off this as I was having side affects and you have to stay out of sunlight when using this drug !!!! That usxs must !! 

I have been off work for 3 months now as I have constant tightness in my chest and constant dizziness and irregular heart beats and I’m getting nowhere 

• Posted

I have been on Amio 200mg perday for last 6 months. Does what it says on tin though toxicity is well documented. 200mg is a low dose so side effects are reduced.
  • Posted

I have been on Amio 200mg perday for last 6 months. Does what it says on tin though toxicity is well documented. 200mg is a low dose so side effects are reduced.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.