Amiodarone withdrawal

Posted , 4 users are following.

I know amiodarone has a long half life but has anyone cone off it nd had any kind of withdrawal symptoms?

I take my last 200 mg dose tomorrow.

I was on it for vt/vf.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Laurie, 

I was put on Amiodarone in the Fall of 2015 because of A-fib. I was on it for 2+ years. Recently my doctor here in the US decided that I needed more BP meds since the standard changed last fall from 130/90 to 120/80. One article stated that with the new standard that about 48% of Americans should now be on BP meds. I was taking Amlodipine, Hydrochlorithizide, and Amiodarone. My doctor added Hydralozine. A month after taking the new med, my BP remained unchanged. She wanted to double the new medication. I would also like to mention that a few years ago that I felt so bad and down that I had to fight and then switch doctors. I was on Clonidine, Metoprolol, Amlodinpine and the Hydrochlorithizide. I exercised and couldn't get my heart rate above 70. My resting rate was around 42-43. I fought to change my meds. I bring this all up because after my last Doctor visit I decided I was going to test myself on my own. I quit all my meds including the Amiodarone. I also started eating a ketogenic diet. I have to say that I feel amazing right now. I can't tell that I have any issues with my heart and A-fib. I did have a Cardioversion in May of 2017. My cardiologist has kept me on the Amiodarone. I don't know why other than I guess he wanted to make sure my heart remained regular. But I can't stand taking all this medicine. Having to take one pill for this, and another pill to counter the effects and still another to counter the second pill. My BP did go up some, I do monitor it. The systolic has went up about 10 points and my diastolic only a couple of points. My heart feels regular. I don't feel any flutters and I can't feel any negative side effects. I feel better, I feel more mental clarity and for a decade I had no sex drive, no sense of smell, diminished sense of taste and poor stamina and motivation. All of that is coming back. So while I have been taking several meds, I can't say which one is responsible for the improved changes. I can say that I don't know of any negative side effects. 

PS. I do realize that my BP is high and that I would never recommend anyone copy what I have done. I know there is a risk and I felt it was worth the risk only for myself to do this. I am taking steps to lower my BP by another means.

• Posted

Hi. I would like to know your methods for lowering your BP ? Mine was 147 this week and my doctor has prescribed Ramipiril,which I havent bought yet. Thankyou.
  • Posted

I was on Amiodarone (200mg per day) for about seven months for A-Fib and I experienced bad side effects during that time.  It takes two months for the drug to completely leave your system.  I found that the side effects tapered off during the two month period.  I did not experience any noticeable withdrawal symptoms.  Withdrawal symptoms would be very unlikely since it takes the drug so long to completely leave your system once you stop taking it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.