Amiordone and sun exposure

Posted , 4 users are following.

has anyone taking amiorodone had exposure to the sun and had a problem? I've read that your skin can get a blue tint??   I'm wondering if anyone has had this experience. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I use amiodarone but haven't had any problems with the sun yet. The blue tint has nothing to do with the sun though. It's just another side effect on it's own.

I have tremors, headaches, migrain, feeling sick pretty much all the time. Tired all the time..I have asked the doctor if they can set me up for a Maze operation instead. Already done 2 ablations that have failed.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.  I was under the impression that the blue tint was from sun exposure but hopefully I'm wrong as I do enjoy sitting out in the sun once in a while.

I'm sorry you've had so much trouble.  My first ablation did not work but it seems like the second which I had 12/28 was successful.  I hope you are able to get some relief also.  good luck.

• Posted

Wanted to let you know that I just read that the blue tint is, in fact, a side effect from sun exposure, not just a side effect on its own.  You can look it up on Google or whatever under "Amirordone and Sun Exposure" and can read about it there.

• Posted

Hi Suzanne,

Many years ago I had an AF episode while in hospital and after they had got my heart under control I was prescribed amiodarone for a couple of months. My GP warned me that my skin might turn blue or a subtle shade of grey/blue and that my skin may become sensitive to sunlight. However these side effects are not experienced by all.

Of course to me it was like telling me to go outside and get a blue sun tan - how cool is that! So obviously that is exactly what I did! It didn't happen though, it had no effect on my skin tone at all - how disappointing. Actually I didn't have any adverse side effects at all; maybe I was lucky, maybe you will be too.

• Posted

Hi Suzanne, I was on Amiodorone some years ago and had a different experience to those who have replied so far. In sunlight I experienced significant swelling of exposed skin and was advised to always apply sun protection cream of at least factor 50 before venturing outdoors!

I had to stop taking Amiodorone after about 18 months as it caused my Thyroid to become overactive. The symptom of this was a very high heart rate. It took some months of medication before my Thyroid returned to normal.

I suggest you thoroughly read the leaflet accompanying the medication and if you are unhappy with any of the side effects, then discuss possible on-going monitoring, or alternative medications, with your GP or Consultant. I hope this helps to resolve any issues which may arise. Take care!

• Posted

Thanks for your detailed response.  I was interested especially in the part about your high heart rate.  I have a resting rate of 69 but if I try to just walk down to the end of the block, it can go as high as 145.  I will definitely check out my thyroid as a possibility.  I been on amiordone for 4 months and hope to get off it completely in another month or so.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.