Amitripiline Withdrawal symptoms

Posted , 34 users are following.

Hi,  I was taking 75/100mg of amitripiline for chronic pain.  (5 Yrs)  The pain has now disappeared & i came off amitripiline over 6 weeks.  After about 3 to 4 weeks, i am still waking up extremely early & having trouble going to sleep.  But the main thing that concerns me is, i have developed a prickly sensation all over my body which i have had for about 7 weeks.  The doctors thinks this has nothing to do with withdrawal from amitripilne, i have had antihistimines & creams which has no effect.  Has anyone experienced this sensation on withdrawal.

1 like, 102 replies

102 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I have been on a very low dose of this drug for two years...just half a 25mg tablet at night for nerve pain...and I have this sensation,.it's like an itch which doesn't go away until I can fall asleep. I think it maybe due to nerve damage from AS. as it is like tingling and small bug bites...I also have a rash which I have had for a long time. The neurologist says not to worry about it as many people experience this. I am also on a low dose sleeping tablet but still have trouble sleeping..same as you takes ages to get to sleep and then wake maybe four hours later...has anyone any ideas...to add.

Report Reply
  • Posted

Hello YES I have been experiencing the PRICKLY HEAT  plus excessive sweating during the night, mostly at night but, sometimes during the day as well.

My sleep pattern has gone to WHERE ???? i do not know?

My sleep is , interupted often during the night, getting up frequently to pass water, wherefore previously I did not wake up or wish to pass water??

I awake far to early in the mornings & often feel tired during the day.

I have been off AMITRYPTALINE now for about 12 weeks.

The side effects of withdrawal are horrific, A WELL KNOWN FACT.

I have tried many times before over the years to come off AMITRYPTALINE without success & have given inbecause  of the side effects.

This time I am detrmined to keep going.

AMITRYPTALINE is a very strong & somewhat good but, addictive drug.

I personally wish I had known about this drug before the Consultant had placed me on it.

I wish the MEDICAL TEAMS would let patients know more about this drug before deciding to administer AMITRYPTALINE.

It is a big NO FROM ME.

Kindest Regards Jackie

I was on it for P.T.S.S. plus CHRONIC SPINE PAIN AFTER TWO SPINALS OPERATIONS..  FOR ABOUT 20+ YEARS

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi Jackie

I just wanted to reply to your post and send you some support. I stopped taking amitriptyline 5 months ago after 18 years on 200mg. You're right the withdrawal side effects are horrendous. Insomnia, prickly heat, stomach cramps, anxiety etc. I've had it all too. Valerian and 5-htp help as supplements at bedtime. 5-htp increases serotonin and melatonin levels but takes a few weeks to work properly. Doctors are sceptical that my continuing symptoms are withdrawal but they began when I stopped taking amitriptyline and I know they are. It does gradually get better so please hang in there even though it can feel like it won't. You will get back to being yourself.

Take care

Diane

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hello Heather,

I stopped taking amitriptyline in April. I had been on 200mg per night for 18 years. Apart from insomnia I've had terrible digestive problems causing me to lose 14lbs in weight, I'm now intolerant to gluten, lactose, meat and soy. I've also had weird brain zaps, tingling itchy hands, feet and head and severe anxiety and depression. The insomnia will gradually improve, I'm using 5-htp, valerian and avena sativia, magnesium helps also. Once I gave up gluten, the stomach problems eased a bit. It takes a while but it does get better. Hang in there. Let me know your symptoms and if I have experienced them I will let you know if I found anything that helped.

Diane

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi Diane

I stopped take no amitriptyline in Aug this year after 16yr.i feel dreadful, exhausted,so weak, depressed, a sense of doom.

Pain and muscle stiffness everywhere, tingly and odd feeling in my head, especially one side like a kind of pressure. I also have a kind of numbness / altered sensation in parts of my face. The head and face problem is there most of the time. Vomiting and tummy/ bowel problem.

Do you ha e any of these?

Cheers Heather

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi Heather

Yes! I experienced all of those things. The pain and stiffness took about 3 to 4 months to go away and whilst it was happening it was dreadful. No medication helped but it did stop eventually so take comfort from that. I'm still battling with the stomach issues. Try giving up gluten for a while, it helped me a bit.

I'm sorry you're having such a bad time. Try taking 5-htp supplements, they increase serotonin levels which will be hugely depleted after so long on amitriptyline, this helps with depression and sleep. Your digestive issues can lead to depression as well. After 6 months I'm beginning to feel a little better. Like you I haven't been able to work, or leave the house much for that matter but managed a walk on the heath yesterday. I still have tingling in my hands and head.

Your symptoms will improve but it takes time and I do understand what you're going through and how horrible it is.

Diane

Report Reply
    • Posted

Yes, I had that too. Couldn't even watch a tv programme properly because my mind flitted about. That settled down after a few months. I took avena sativa drops in water. They are very calming and stop the anxiety and sense of doom you mentioned.

Hope this helps.

Diane

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hello I thought it was just me but, after being on AMITRYPTALINE for 30+ yrs I thought it was me & my body changes that had given me a wheat intolerance ,  I am now also intolerant to meat & also suffer very bad stomach problems  ie   digestive problems. I am also now loosing weight naturally as my appetite has reduced dramatically.

I am off amitryptaline now & I am so very glad but, I am still suffering withdraawal symtoms.

Jackie

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi, yes I've also become intolerant to meat. I feel dreadful if I eat it. Good to be off the amitriptyline but the problems caused by not taking it seem to be huge.

Diane

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi Jackie I stopped amitriptyline in Aug I have no concentration, really depressed very weepy. Odd feeling in my head, numbness in my face, weak exhausted, muscle tension, pain, vomiting, bowel problem. Do you have any of these?
      Report Reply
    • Posted

Hello Heather , I have had all of what you have had & more, I saw my GP & she has put me on PROZAC 20mg twice a day & I have improved greatly.

I am no longer depressed & feel more energetic but, I am still having the withdrawal symtoms of the AMITRYPTALINE which I came off in JUNE/JULY 2016 so, it has only been a few months since I came off them. I have been told many stories about the time it takes for the withdrawal symtioms to wear off as well, some say 6 months some say a lot longer, fingers crossed, it is a ong a terrible journey but, you must get some help with this as I did.

Kindest Regards Jackie   xx

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi Jackie I'm sorry you are still suffering side effects. Amitriptyline is an awful drug and I wish I had never started taking it. I have started having reflexology and am taking gin seng. I'll let you know how I get on. Heather

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hello Heather, I do have restless leg syndome the same as you, it is also driving me up the wall day & night , every minute of everyday.

It is just continuous & also drives me crazy I  do not know how long it takes to go but, I have been informed the longer that a patient is on AMITRYPTALINE the longer the side effects last.

Horrific Drug.

Jackie

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hello Heather, I wish that I had known about this terrible drug as well, I would never have taken it, why GP,s prescribe this I do not know why when there are other much safer drugs out there.

AMITRptaline ruined mY Health for many Years 7 NOW i HAVE TO TRY TO repair my body.

Kidney  disease was the cause of me taking AMITRYPTALINE for years.

Now the water is actually coming through again naturally.

I pass urine now much more  frequently & swelling of my feet & lrgs have gone down alot.

Only after years have the Scientist now found out that long term 29yrs plus cause KIDNEY DISEASE.

jACKIE

Report Reply
    • Posted

I stopped taking it last November but GP suggested I take the odd one when need to. I have awful altered sensation in my hands and around my chin. My hair seems to fall out mire easily too. Just wonder if you have heard of this. Funny sensations driving me nuts!
      Report Reply
    • Posted

hi heather i hope you managed to stay of ami, i have just had to go back upto 10mg for the second time as i have tried to taper twice. i too experienced horrendous withdrawl symptoms cramps, nausea,  headache from hell, belching, wind and anxiety boy was it bed im on day 5 of taking 10mg and still experiencing anxiety and tummy pains. 
      Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi diane, i have just had to increase my amitriptyline to 10mg having got to 5mg for the second time. i have been doing a slow taper but started with horrendous withdrawal sypmtoms, massive headache painful eyes, cramps, bloated , belching, wind, diarrhoea,nausea and anxiety. i need to get off this drug. i only went on it for nerve pain but, i wish i had been warned about the withdrawal symptoms if i had and had done my research i would def not have started it.
      Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi Amanda

Yes the withdrawal is horrendous. I am now nearly a year off them. The nausea passed and so did the aches and pains but not for about six months. I am still suffering from stomach cramps and an upset stomach. I take valerian and avena sativa for anxiety and a herbal sleeping aid. Magnesium also helps with anxiety. I can now say there is light at the end of the tunnel but it's been very hard. Take it as slowly as you need to. Like you I would never have taken it if I'd known how hard they were to stop. I know what you are going through and you have my sympathy..

Take care

Diane

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi Diane , can i ask do you still have the stomach problems. I am currently taking  8mg of ami and have bloating and belching, my bowels  are bubbling and cramping too. x
      Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi Amanda

Sorry, I've only just seen your post.I have had horrendous digestive problems since coming off amitriptyline. The only thing that helps me is to follow the FODMAP diet. I found out about it online and I also avoid any gluten and use lactose free milk and cheese. This finally stopped the cramps, bloating and upset stomach although I still have it very occasionally. My GP is useless and refuses to believe I'm still suffering a year after coming off the medication but I had no food intolerances before. My sleep is still occasionally messed up too, but no more weird headaches, dizziness, bizarre thoughts or anxiety thankfully. The medical profession still sell it as a "safe" drug but I don't think it feels that safe when they take you off it. They should read this forum before prescribing it.

Diane x

Report Reply
    • Posted

I agree Diane , ok the drug has a place but it has such bad withdrawal symptoms they should really make people fully aware of this before they are commenced on it, i would not have taken it if i had known it would be like this. thanks for getting back. just to let you know i am currently now on 5.5mg liquid amitriptyline i have been reducing by 0.5mls every 1 to 2 weeks and touch wood no withdrawl. when i get to 5mg i am going to stay at this level for a few weeks before the final withdrawal. i think the slowness and small amount of my reducing regime has prevented me having any withdrawal symptoms so far on this my 3rd attempt smile .
      Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi Jacqueline,

Just wondering, do you still have the restless leg syndrome? I'm currently battling with this 6 weeks after my last dose and loosing my mind. 

Would love to hear from you how you've been, best of wishes 

Thanks

Kelly 

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi Diane,

Thanks for sharing your experience with amitriptyline withdrawal.

Did your anxiety begin to lessen at any point? Did you ever have all day long panic attacks, or especially high morning anxiety with shaking and your heart pounding? If so, did it at least begin to lessen in severity or did it stay that way for a long time? This is extremely frightening.

Report Reply
    • Posted

I know it's been a year but I wanted to know how u feel now? They took me off amitriptyline 2 weeks ago and I can't slrep. Can't nap. I have these horrible adrenaline rushes that wake me up constantly. I didn't wan to come off the drug but they made me so here I am. The withdrawal is destroying my life. Never had a panic attack until this. Anyone else have problems?

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi Sabrina, I am on 5mg amitriptyline, i went to 2.5 mg and experienced awful anxiety, i have never been an anxious person but OMG the feelings are awful. I have since gone back to 5mg and have been here for many weeks but  my tension  from the anxiety has not gone away. My neck shoulders and back muscles are constantly aching. I also feel dizzy and my ears feel like i am under water which is freaking me out.  I totally sympathise with you. panic and anxiety are withdrawal symptoms we have to endure be strong and keep us posted xxx  
      Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi Diane can you please share your experience I have taken amitriptyline fro 17 years 70 mg for sleep insomnia I am going through bad withdrawal symptoms 4 weeks my lower body gets very hot did you take amitriptyline for sleep or anything else can you sleep now any tips any help thanks
      Report Reply
    • Posted

I've found this board really helpful--but I have a question about the stomach/GI issues post-amitriptyline. I was on the stuff for 2 years at 50, 3 years at 75, and 2 years at 100. I've been winding down from 100 over a whole year and finally stopped about 6 weeks ago. The sleep has been awful--I'm currently averaging about 4-5 hours a night. I've had some depression at times too. However, what's really weird is the GI cramping and issues. I went on the stuff because I had some upper stomach cramping that it really helped. However, I never had any food intolerances or lower GI issues (like IBS) or aversions to foods. Now, suddenly, I have all those things. I'm trying the Fodmap stuff and it's helping, but I was wondering: will I never be able to eat some of my favorite foods again (I'm involved in food professionally, so this matters to me a lot)? Do the stomach and lower GI symptoms ease after a matter of months, or a year or so? Any information would be most appreciated, as I am desperate to understand where I'm heading! Thanks to all for their posts--it really makes a difference to know others have gone through this. 

Report Reply
    • Posted

im so glad iv seen this post,

i was only put on 5mg around 8 weeks ago but iv decided i dont want to be on any medication at all.

i was taking ondansetron 8mg twice daily

metroclopermide three times a day

lansoprazole 30mg twice daily

mirtazapine 45mg once daily

cerelle pill

diazapam, zopiclone and mabeverine as prn (as and when needed)

i have now stopped all apart from the prn mabeverine, got down to 30mg mirtazapine and 2.5 amitryptaline

i have very bad acid reflux from stopping the lansoprazole and looser bowels from stopping the ondansetron but iv noticed my ears feel like theyre under water all the time too! like theres pressure in my ears, i didnt realise that this would be from the amitryptaline!!

Report Reply
    • Posted

howellsxo......what you are feeling in your ears is definitely withdrawal from the amitryptaline. I have constant, painful pressure in my right ear that has not let up since weaning down from 15 mg of ami. My acid reflux has increased also. I am told that this will get less as time goes by, but currently the burning is hard to manage. I try to use a natural heartburn supplement that I get on Amazon. My ears also ring so loud at times. I am coming down .5 mg each month and just made it down to 2.5; the same dose you are currently on. I have to go very very slowly because I've been on Ami for 28 years...so my withdrawal symptoms have been terrible at each incremental decent. This forum is wonderful support though! Hang in there! I applaud you for starting the process to eliminate or reduce your meds....but go VERY slow is my advice.

Report Reply
    • Posted

I would suspect so, howellswo. Withdrawal looks different for each of us..... so symptoms you have, I might not have and visa versa. There are not cut and dry withdrawal symptoms that 100% of us experience. I know, for sure, that Ami is given to deal with stomach issues and when getting off of it, the stomach acts up.....I know mine has. I have burning 'everything'....burning mouth, acid reflux, burning stomach, constipation, etc...lots of digestive issues.

Report Reply
    • Posted

Diane, how long did it take for your insomnia to go away. 3 months later ans im still experiencing horrendous insomnia with no improvements yet! The anxiety around it of course isnt helping matters. Thank you!

Report Reply
    • Posted

ho chrisnuff. i hope you are feeling better at this poinf! so sorry for all your suffering. could you tell me if your sleep returned to normal? i'm havinf a terrible time 3.5 months off amitriptyline with insomnia. would love to hear from you. thank you!

Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up