Skip to content

Amitriptyline

All discussions in this group

Next
  • amitriptyline withdrawal

Hi all, i have tried unsuccessfully to withdrawal from amitriptyline twice.  every time i get down to 5mg i start with awful symptoms, bad headaches, nausea, belching, abdominal cramps, back ache and  my bowels get so upset they feel like they are swollen i get bloated have wind and abdomen...

Last reply
  • Use of Amitriptyline 10 mg for sleep, any advice?

Hi ​I am 56. Have been suffering with IBS for a while and my doctor has now prescribed 10mg Amitriptyline to help me sleep. I am always wary of taking drugs, but I am willing to take these if they will help me cope with this ongoing problem, (pain, shakes, tiredness). I am very interested to hear of...

Last reply
  • Amitriptyline...use for sleep problems?

My mum was recently prescribed Amitriptyline by her GP. She told me it was to help her sleep, but I have looked up info about it, and it looks like an andtidepressant, that is also sometimes used for migraine. Q: does anyone else know of it being used for sleep problems? Does it help? What side effects,...

Last reply
  • Amitriptyline and dizziness

Hey everyone I started taking Amitriptyline 10mg in November 2017. I have experienced dizziness when I stand up from a seated position and my heart races. This is getting worse. My doctor thinks that 10mg is to low to experience this. Is he right or have others experienced this???

Last reply
  • Can taking a higher dosage of Amitriptyline cause side effects?

Hello, I have been prescribed Amitriptyline for around four weeks, starting at 10mg each day for a week, and then upping the dose by 10mg each week. So 20mg for the second week, 30mg for the third week etc. I'm taking this type of medication as I suffer with chronic tension headaches and migraines....

Last reply
  • Amitriptyline 10mg for headaches and anxiety please share

Hi, I am new to the forum. ​I have struggled for many years with health and general anxiety, i am at a ppoint now that I have to hold my hands up and admit I cant do this on my own anymore. ​I am on day 3 of taking the amitriptyline, i am scared every time i take it, what could happen. ​Please can...

Last reply
  • Amitripiline Withdrawal symptoms

Hi,  I was taking 75/100mg of amitripiline for chronic pain.  (5 Yrs)  The pain has now disappeared & i came off amitripiline over 6 weeks.  After about 3 to 4 weeks, i am still waking up extremely early & having trouble going to sleep.  But the main thing that concerns...

Last reply
  • Doctor lowered my amitriptyline dose without my knowledge

Hi all, been taking amitriptyline 75mg for trigeminal neuralgia for the past year, my doctors lowered my dose too 50mg without my knowledge is this allowed? It's been two days now since I haven't taken my normal dose and have started to feel anxious and nauseous with headache,  I haven't...

Last reply
  • Suicide attempt and depression

Hi, I tried to kill myself about 3 weeks ago by taking my entire prescription but was sick before I could feel any effects, been on Amitriptyline and nightly booze about a year on and off but had a lot of nights out with work and drinking at home alone and felt one night I should just die. So I took...

Last reply
  • Tapering off low dose of Amitriptyline

I have been on 10mg for almost 2 months. My doctor said to just stop but I was very concerned that it would be to quick. So he suggested 25% each week. On Dec 10th I reduced to 7.5 mg and did not have any issues except taking longer to fall asleep. Then on Dec 18th I had SEVERE nausea, anxiety, very...

Last reply
  • amitriptyline & weight gain

Hello, Ive been taking amitriptyline for about a year for chronic tension headaches and i'm convinced they have made me gain weight. I've always kept an eye on my weight and i know how it can vary from day to day, but i always remained 2lb's either side of my ideal weight. Since taking...

Last reply
  • i have severe anxiety

I have just started on amitriptyline 3 days on 10mg to start with then upped it to 20mg feeling really sick. How long does it take these meds to kick in and side effects to go away.

Last reply
  • Nausea while on Amitriptyline

Hi everyone, has anyone taking this drug experienced nausea as a side effect while taking this drug?? If so what was it like? Did it come and go throughout the day? I am asking because I have experienced daily nausea throughout the day since starting this drug and being super dizzy as well. I am seeing...

Last reply
  • Really weird side effects of Amitriptyline

So I was put on Amitriptyline for migraine prevention, and on 10mg the side effect didn’t bother me much, I didn’t even realize that it was anything but just a strange memory trying to surface. But then I was upped to 20mg, which completely took my migraine away and I was super relieved. But shortly...

Last reply
  • Coming Off

I found 10mg of this medicine very helpful in two ways.First it helped me get a decent nights sleep and secondly did wonders for my neck pain.The downside was the fear of urine retention which this drug is known to cause for men with enlarged prostrate.For this reason I came off it gradually and eventually...

Last reply
  • amitriptyline

I have been on amitriptyline since sept..I have fibriomialgia. .I take 600mg of gabapenten at night no sleep..I was weaning myself off of alprazolam and was put on clonazepam take the effect from alprazolam so I weaned myself off it took many months. .when I was on vacation he sent me amtripyline 10mg...

Posted
  • Amitriptyline and nausea side effect how long

Hi guys i have been on 10mg amitriptyline for 6 nights now for severe pins and needles and pain in legs and arms. I have m.e but am now awaiting a nerve conduction test and mri of lumbar neck and brain for possible m.s. i had quite bad nausea before but its even worse now so mu question is how long...

Last reply
  • has anyone been prescribed Amitriptyline for Sciatica

hospital diagnosed Sciatica, how do they do that without an x-ray or a scan ?? Sent home with Netopam, side effects were not to be tolerated  (I'm an old Lady )G P prescribed Amytriptyline 10 mg.. and..Butec patches. quite frankly .I am afraid to start these meds ,as I live alone ,and concerned...

Last reply
  • Amitryptiline cause burning sensation?

Ive been on low dose amitryptiline now for few weeks for nerve related symptoms and past few nights my arms and legs have been burning and tingly has anyone else had this side effect from this med ? Pls help

Last reply
  • Amitriptyline causing foot tingling/ burning / numbness?

I need some help. I've been on 10mg of ami since the end of October 17 for some pain id had the previous 5 months from an abscess (which was treated with antibiotics). Anyway I had some relief within a month and I thought all was well.howecer since Dec I have had really strong constant tingling and...

Last reply
  • Weaning off Amitriptyline by spacing out dosage more?

I'm taking 25mg of Amitriptyline a day and in my opinion this is too much, and i only have 2 tablets remaining with no repeats. I've read that these tablets can't be cut into smaller doses, because there is a lining around the tablet you don't want to break. Instead of taking 1/day could...

Last reply
  • Want to taper off amitriptyline

Hey first time posting. I have been on 50mg of amitriptyline for anxiety since December 2016! I have decided I would like to taper off as they haven't helped my anxiety and I feel like I have given them enough time. As I don't want to be on meds at all! I have committed to a healthy lifestyle...

Last reply
  • Can amitriptyline cause glaucoma ?

Hi all, I have been on various kinds of antidepressants. I would say Amitriptyline is most effective. It gives good sleep, relieves back pain, reduce nausea, relieve headache. It doesnt create tinnitus and super weight gain. I would like to continue Amitriptyline at 10mg per night. However, when I...

Last reply
  • Pins & Needles

Took Amitriptyline from an early age. Very high dose for over 20 years. To cut a long story short I have aggressive pins and needles in hands/feet and other parts of body. 24/7 for the last 6-8 years. Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Ed

Last reply
  • Amitriptyline withdrawals

So I was prescribed 10mgs of Amitriptyline for post-concussion syndrome 1.5yrs after a motorcycle accident. I was getting 3 or 4 migraines a week (I'd had them as an adolescent but in adulthood only one a year or something) and after a visit to a neurologist they prescribed this. I've been...

Last reply
  • Amitriptyline and tiredness

I take 10mg every night usually beofre 8pm, sometimes it can be later. I CANNOT wake up in the morning, i'm so sleepy, if I don't have to get up for work I can sleep right through till about 11am !! i'm usually awake by 9am. Does anyone else feel this exhausted ? I also can feel a bit out...

Last reply
  • Amitriptyline

I had been taking amitriptyline for nearly 18 years to stop severe burning tingling sensation on upper right lip after operation for trigeminal neuralgia, everything was fine until Lloyd's pharmacy decided to supply me a cheap variety about three months before Christmas 2017. This cheaper drug caused...

Last reply
  • Amitriptyline withdrawal

My 16 yr old daughter took 25 mg of amitriptyline for 6 weeks total. 2 weeks after starting the med she began with a migraine. Dr said to up the dosage to 1 and 1/2 pills. She did this for 4weeks   Migraine never stopped until i weaned her off of the med. the day after she stopped the med she started...

Last reply
  • amitriptyline withdrawl

I have been on 10 mg of amitriptyline for migraines. I just had to start taking a muscle relaxer for back pain and was told to stop amitriptyline cold turkey. I did ,even though I was nervous, and have had no side effects from stopping

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.