Skip to content

Amitriptyline

All discussions in this group

Next
  • amitriptyline withdrawal

Hi all, i have tried unsuccessfully to withdrawal from amitriptyline twice.  every time i get down to 5mg i start with awful symptoms, bad headaches, nausea, belching, abdominal cramps, back ache and  my bowels get so upset they feel like they are swollen i get bloated have wind and …

Last reply
  • Strange side effects possibly linked to amitriptyline use?

Hi! I've been on amitriptyline for a little while now, I'd say about six months. I've been having some weird side effects. it makes me have very vivid, weird dreams, and causes me to sleep for very long (10+ hours, sometimes up to 15) and keeps me asleep the whole entire time, I never …

Last reply
  • Suicide attempt and depression

Hi, I tried to kill myself about 3 weeks ago by taking my entire prescription but was sick before I could feel any effects, been on Amitriptyline and nightly booze about a year on and off but had a lot of nights out with work and drinking at home alone and felt one night I should just die. So I …

Last reply
  • Just asked my doctor for 10mg will this help with anxiety?

I was put on this medication yesterday at 25mg.  I slept great but woke up with really bad grogginess.  I could not function well.  Went back to bed and slep another 4 hours.  I called the doctor to see if he could call in 10mg,  He says he will after I told him about the …

Last reply
  • Anxiety in a morning stopping me from going out

I 've been prescribed 25mg of amitriptyline at nite I 've started waking at 6 then the over thinking starts until I get myself in a state the doctor upped my side to 35mg but it gave me chronic indigestion as I have a hernia I just wondered if I took 25mg b 4 bed and 10mg in a morning …

Last reply
  • Amitriptyline with Cannabidiol (CBD)?

Does anyone have experience of using CBD at the same time as amitriptyline? I'm currently on 20mg per day of ami but want to try CBD as an alternative. Do I need to taper off the ami first? Thanks.

Last reply
  • Amitriptyline Users

Hello, I am posting just to get a feel for experiences that others have had whilst using Amitriptyline, whether it has helped AND how long you were using for. I suffer badly from tension style headaches which develops into a strange hard to describe pressure in the head (behind eyes and around …

Last reply
  • amitriptyline withdrawal... advice please!

I'm looking for advice on the best way to get off 50mg amitrityline. Been taking it for c.18 yrs for fibromyalgia but now think it's affecting my short term memory and gives me high blood pressure. I'm recovering from a really bad episode of paroxetine (seroxat) withdrawal and am now on …

Last reply
  • Nerve treatment with Amitriptyline - odd side effect

I’m suffering from stenosis; nerve compression in the neck area affecting my left shoulder/fingers. Been doing stretching and exercises with mixed results. Told doc I was having increasing discomfort recently do he prescribed 10-20 Amitryptyline mg a day. First night on 10mg Amitriptyline was …

Last reply
  • Amitryptiline not working

Have been on 100mg for some time and it now no longer works. I was taking it daily but stopped a couple of years ago and only would take it when I really needed it. I've stopped taking it for now and it hasn't caused any issues by stopping it. I am trying to not rely it now at all but it' …

Last reply
  • Coming off Amytriptiline

I was on amitriptyline for 3 years 25mg. I went my doctor who dropped the dose to 10mg and told me to take them for a month then stop. I actually took them for 3 weeks with no side effects then dropped to 5mg for 2 weeks. I have now been totally off for 2 weeks and apart from a little bit of …

Last reply
  • Withdrawal am over the worst....

Over 2.5 weeks in and am over the worst, slow tapers definitely shorten the withdrawal time. Felt much better a few days back, thought it could just be a window and possibly could still be. Nausea, nightmares, dizziness and all the other stuff has gone, and am having my first taste of feeling …

Last reply
  • Came off of this evil drug cold turkey. (Sharing my journey)

(Sorry for bad English) So, I had no problem at all except some sleep problems. A dude told me to take this whenever I needed to sleep. Note that I live in Turkey and here you can find this drug almost everywhere without prescription for a single dollar. I went and got a bottle of 10mg pills …

Last reply
  • Amitripyline for nerve pain

Hi All I'm on Amitripyline 25mg for 2 months now gurgling stomach back pain loss of weight I'm in chronic pain and feet feel numb just can't get any where with anyone because I have loss weight look anoxria burning pain in arms just loss my mum. Anyone had experience of these symptoms …

Last reply
  • My partner is having massive anxiety

Hello !! So my partner of 4 years has been on Amitriptyline for about 3 years no, he suffers from migraines and were interfering dramatically in his day to day life. He started on 25mg and over a period of 6 months was increased to 75mgs. It has helped and only gets a migraine once or twice over …

Last reply
  • Just want to go to sleep and not wake

bad day today too scared to try Incase I f### it up feel guilty at leaving the mess behind my son is 18, it would mess him up my husband is good mostly, but doesn’t realise how little self worth I have have work injury since last sept, it’s just made it harder to look for silver linings i have good …

Last reply
  • Amitriptyline 10mg causing more anxiety/flu like symptoms?

I am taking 10mg for almost 6 months now. I feel recently it has been causing my anxiety to skyrocket at night time. I get the chills, naused, stomach hurts, heart racing, jitters, etc. I cant sleep when this happens. I was wondering if anyone else is having these issues? I would like to get off …

Last reply
  • Amitryptyline withdrawal end of week 1

Am a week into my complete withdrawal from this evil med. I know there are people that do well on this, I do not unfortunately. This is my first morning where I do not have that awful drunk feeling and stumbling all over the place when getting out of bed, am quietly confident that this symptom is …

Last reply
  • Insomnia

I ve been stopped taking amitriptyline now it is one week. But I am sleeping like 3 hours what can I do?

Last reply
  • Finally I am no longer on Amitryptline........

I can't believe it, after 7 months and 8 tapers later, I have made it, this is my first night not on it.  I feel like celebrating!  am going to take the remainder of the meds back to the pharmacist tomorrow, and will post a letter to my doctor to say am no longer taking it.  7 …

Last reply
  • Really weird side effects of Amitriptyline

So I was put on Amitriptyline for migraine prevention, and on 10mg the side effect didn’t bother me much, I didn’t even realize that it was anything but just a strange memory trying to surface. But then I was upped to 20mg, which completely took my migraine away and I was super relieved. But …

Last reply
  • Amitriptyline...use for sleep problems?

My mum was recently prescribed Amitriptyline by her GP. She told me it was to help her sleep, but I have looked up info about it, and it looks like an andtidepressant, that is also sometimes used for migraine. Q: does anyone else know of it being used for sleep problems? Does it help? What side …

Last reply
  • Numbness after amitriptyline withdrawal

I withdrew from amitriptyline about 9 months ago. I have chronic insomnia with headaches mostly in the right side of the brain. This make me feel numbness from the head (right side) to the mouth, heart, hand down to the leg. I'm in serious pains and cannot do anything. I can't use my …

Last reply
  • Ask about amitriptyline

I ve been prescribed for amitriptyline 25 mg for sleeping it was not helping me and I decided to stop it cold turkey. Now I am sleeping like 4 hrs per night. Can I keep stopping it?

Last reply
  • Coming off Amitriptyline cold turkey

I have spent 4 month trying to ween off, now its cold turkey. stopped taking amtrip last night. already feel slightly better, but heighten anxiety..Scala of 1-10 2.  cheers Secretsan   

Last reply
  • Want to taper off amitriptyline

Hey first time posting. I have been on 50mg of amitriptyline for anxiety since December 2016! I have decided I would like to taper off as they haven't helped my anxiety and I feel like I have given them enough time. As I don't want to be on meds at all! I have committed to a healthy …

Last reply
  • Coming Off Amitriptyline and Weight Changes

Hello Everyone, I've been on the medication (50mg) for just over a year, during which time i gained over a stone in weight, despite healthy diet and keeping active. As I've had enough and planning to come off it (or else i'd have to change my entire wardrobe), just wondered if anyone …

Last reply
  • Amitriptyline

I am taking 100mg on a night for sleeping and as a mood lifter after having 2 strokes,  does anyone know what time is best to take them,  its battering my head in    Tracy

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.