Amitriptyline withdrawal remedy

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi all just joined the group I need your valuable help been on amitriptyline 70 mg  for 17 years for sleep.gone cold turkey for almost 4 weeks during these 4 weeks I slept probably 7 days each day not more than half an hour.going through bad head aches body aches does body massages to recover my body is there anybody who went through like this any success how long will it last what I am going through now is when I go to bed if I feel a little bit sleepy my lower body becomes very hot warm especially my legs area any solution please please help.i will be very very great full to anybody who were successfull by getting rid of this horrible medicine I took amitriptyline for sleep disturbances insomnia.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi you should never just stop taking this medication. You should have lowered down very slowly. I was on it 20 years and my doctor thought it was OK to swap it for something else. Doctor made big mistake it wasn't OK. I'm still suffering with withdrawal from amitryptyline 4 months later. My back and body get very hot as well. There is a amitryptyline group on Facebook also that might be helpful to you.

• Posted

Hi neilninja thanks for your reply.r u taking some other medicine for sleep did you took amitriptyline for sleep. Any tips can you give me or can you send me the link for the Facebook page .after 4 months are you sleeping a little bit.

i know where you coming from regards tapering off slowly I tried in the past to wean off but always failed

• Posted

I agree with neilninja. 17 years then cold turkey - no no no!! 70mg for sleep seems a lot IMO. I've been on 20mg for 3 years now. Sleep problems, chronic fatigue  & IBS were/are my issues.

• Posted

I don't think you should withdraw from such a huge dosage70mg immediately go to your physician the doctor will direct you on how you should withdraw from this drug like myself I am on withdrawal now. I have used 25mg of amitriptyline for the past 10yrs for not sleeping well 1st month I started skiping a day after which I will take next day through out that month presently I am in the second month skipping 2days before I take another dose it is working for me and I believe it can work for another person

• Posted

Hi stobb I have tried so many times to wean off but as soon as I tried to wean off cannot sleep at all even taking 70 mg I can not sleep often on random days.at present now 4th week when I am sleepy or begin to sleep my lower body legs get very very hot and then I wake up before going gold turkey I knew what I am throwing my self at but I am just fed up with these meds even if I take these cannot sleep on random days I cannot tolerate any sleeping tablets how are your  withdrawal symptoms anything you have taken to ease and r u sleeping at night time.i am gonna try 5-htp magnesium today let's see

• Posted

n007

I have taken this medication for many years, and like you I reduced my dose from 75mg to 50mg. I had no real problem regards that redution

In my case it was used for the suppression of nerve pain caused by PsA, the sedative effect for me as a side effect that has proved a positive side effect.

You do not explain how much or why you wish to come of this medication. All I can say is you will need to take an extended period to come of this drug, we are all different.

All I can suggest is you ask for some 10mg medications, incorporate these with 25mg and reduce the dose slow but sure say from 75mg to 65mg to 50mg. Then to 40mg to 30mg to 25mg to 15mg then to 10mg off. You will need to take time and hopefully after a few months you will be clear

BOB

• Posted

hi bord thanks for yr reply I cannot sleep randomly during the week even on 70 mg

ever time I try to wean off cannot sleep at all. When you weaned off did you sleep at all do you feel your lower body too warm or hot.

• Posted

When you use this medication for sleep over a long time the body is bound to become a problem as the body has become used to taking it. However you could still try and reduce in smaller doses, hence the 10mg tablet.

In my case I reduced by 25mg and had no troubles, my joint, nerve problems were fine, my sleep was also not effected, until two weeks later and then I was ok after a couple of days. You need to be determined and persistent in your outlook.towards withdrawal.

In my case I take Opiates, for over ten years and was trained how to control my intake, I am responsible for the medication doses  I attended Pain Clinic so I really do have control to increase and reduce all my medications.as my condition dictates

BOB

BOB

• Posted

OMG N007, i feel for you i am currently weaning of 10 mg since January 2017 now on 0.8 mg. You need to see your GP asap. I am not experienced to guide you  but you may suffer withdrawal for many more months, your body will take ages to re wire the chemicals in your brain. Your GP may suggest going back on Amit  but a smaller dose to allow you to stabalize or another drug to help, but you need something to help. Wishing you well and a speedy recovery. 
    • Posted

Thanks Amanda good luck on yr journey as well
  • Posted

n007

Just an idea at a dose of 75, this is a moderate dose of this medication, hen used to treat a depression the dose could be generally higher than that. The medications generally come in 25mg and 10mg the 25mg is generally not classified as a high dose and the 10mg is a very low dose of this medication.

I gave you how to reduce this medication, your GP may have other ideas so you need to discuss with Him the withdrawal from this medicine. This is because of its multiple uses. Are you taking any other medications associated with above

BOB

• Posted

No just amitriptyline for sleep I don't have depression 

• Posted

n007

Yes that is fine, if your GP agrees He is there  for you if you have problems.

Have you discussed coming of this medication with your Practice ?

BOB

• Posted

I did with my gp and he said try to taper it but every time I did from 70 mg cannot sleep at all . Any solution for hot legs or burning legs at bed time because that the main problem I am facing as soon as I try to sleep that keep me awake. Thanks for your help and concern I know it's a hard long road but 4 weeks I am on it. I am in a bad condition but determined to go through .

• Posted

n007

Four weeks on this type of medication is not very long and it should be not to bad to get of this drug.

If there is a problem try extending the period of withdrawing the medication. It can take some time and it may be you will need a further month to withdraw. As I mentioned before I jumped down from 75mg to 50mg quite quickly without any real problems.

Why do you wish to come of the drug after a four week period, it will take a bit longer to get any real help with its use.

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.