Itchy skin all over body from Amitriptyline

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi There,

Can any one give me some help and advice.

I have been on Amitriptyline for about 4 years to help with hip and back pain

( since been told by a different Doctor i should never have been put on them in the first place )

I started off on 50 mg but found i was having a very dry mouth and a foggy head so

dropped down to 20 mg which i took for about 3 1/2 years.

I decided to stop taking them a few times as the pain never really went away but each time i had severe withdrawal so would always go back on them.

During last summer i decided i was going to come off them for once and for all.

I managed to drop down to 10 mg by September successfully .

The Severe Itchy skin started when i tried to go to 5 mg .

So this is when i went to the Doctors for help.

From October to December the Doctor set out a reduction plan from 10 mg to 5 mg and then finish off on 2.5 mg

I have now not taken Amitriptyline Since the 20th December

Unfortunately the Itchy skin all over my body has still not gone away.

I some times have a break of a few days from the Itching but always comes back.

I have tried Antihistamines and Fexofenadine 180 mg but they have not helped the Itch at all.

I have also had all my Bloods tested which came back fine along with food and allergies all clear.

I think i have just about covered everything.

I really just need some Positive Help or Advice Please.

The Itchy Skin is really affecting my general day to day life Sleeping, Work et

I look forward to hopefully hearing back from some one .

Many thanks,

Mike

I

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

its a phase mike

ul get over it .

but please dont take extra tablets to compensation on ur body .

it will make it worse , ur body is toxic, let it de toxic .pls dont pump ur body with more o these .

u have some vision issues ?

amitriptyline can cause vision issyes also .

jus make sure u hang un there .

will taje time like sone days ul feel but jus wen u feel beter the withdrawals will come back so hold on .

its a tuf journey but every day counts

• Posted

Hi Shawn,

Thank you for getting back to me

Your support is appreciated.

I will just stick it out and ill keep you posted on how i get on

Regards

Mike

• Posted

Hi Michael

Amitriptyline is often used for pain and has been for many years. It is a very old drug in today's world and was originally meant to be used as an anti-depressant. Over the years it seemed to help with pain as well and so many patients were put on it for that. Anti-depressants are not easy to taper off and one of the regular reported withdrawals is itching. I know personally it can drive you to distraction and cause lack of sleep. It does get better over time and occurs less and less. Just be patient if you can. I am on anti-histamines for allergies (Cetirizine) but it had no effect whatsoever on the itching. I remember cutting my nails very short to stop scratching in my sleep and waking with blood on my itchy parts which were mainly scalp, arms and legs.

I hope the itching recedes in time and be glad you are now off this drug. Just a word of caution - if your GP offers you Gabapentin or Pregabalin as an alternative to your hip/back pain please research the side effects and withdrawals on both before taking them. GP's start with Amitriptyline and then go on to Gabapentin and later a more powerful version Pregabalin. Gabapentin started out as anti-convulsant but also showed promised to help with pain, particularly nerve pain. I went down this path and it has taken me 20 months of tapering and dreadful withdrawals to come off them as the side effects were appalling. I suffered brain fog, memory loss, mood swings, itching and the list goes on. Hopefully your GP will concentrate more on why you are in pain in the first place to eliminate the cause.

Best wishes

• Posted

My neurologist put me on pregablin previously I was on gabenpertin for lower back pain I'm seeing someone from pain management and she gas suggested I have my medications review may be wrong ones for me I'm also on nortriptyline they call it the baby brother of amtriplyne less side effects doesn't leave you groggy in the morning get your gp to review your medications maybe not for you

Lina

• Posted

Hi Lina,

I fortunately am off all these medications now but it took 3 years of my life away from me just to treat sciatic nerve pain. Now I know I have Degenerative Spine Disease, fractured vertebra and severe Osteoporosis I do at least know the 'why' I have been in so much pain. I use some natural products now ie 'R' Alpha Lipoic Acid for nerve healing (which has definitely lessened my pain), 5HTP to aid relaxation and sleep and Magnesium Malate for muscles and cramps. Not everyone suffers bad side effects/withdrawals on Gaba and Pregab but far too many do and they are given out so readily now to sidestep Codeine. They are just as addictive because the body becomes dependent on them within weeks and worse to stop taking. This, in my opinion, will be the next crisis. I question everything now and refuse to start any new drug without fully researching them first. I'd rather live with the Pain than lose my Brain. I hope Michael finds his way through the maze and just gives time for the itching to lessen and stop.

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth,

Thank you so much for your response.

It really is appreciated, to know people are out there going through similar circumstances, it has helped knowing this.

I will just have to battle through the difficult period.

Regards

Mike

• Posted

Hello Lina

Thank you for your response

Really is much appreciated you getting back to me

Think the best thing i can do is battle through and stay positive

Thank you again

Regards

Mike

• Posted

I'm going to mention to my gp feel as though my skin is losing its moisture

yes keep positive

Lina

• Posted

Lina, I know what you mean about losing moisture, drinking more water definitely helps, I used to wake up at night with a dry mouth and had to drink more. Definitely a side effect of these, that disappeared once I stopped taking them.

• Posted

Hello shawn

Thank you for you message it much appreciated

Still have the itchiness but its calmed down now and is no were near as bad as it was.

Its strange it seems to come and go in spells of about 5-6 days. No were near as intense as it was a few weeks ago. Hopefully not to long to go now and it will be gone completely.

Thanks again

Kind regards

Mike

• Posted

Hi Mike Im so happy to have found this thread, I thought I was getting MS symptoms and was going absolutely crazy with worry!!!! I was on Amitriptyline for 5 years, 30 mg for pain. I stopped cold turkey because i felt pain was no longer an issue. 2 weeks everything was fire but now im itching all over for month, and all blood tests are good. omg I really hope this is just a phase, however long it may be I would be so grateful to not have ms!!!!!!

How is your itching?????

• Posted

Hi Michael, the itchiness is a side effect unfortunately with coming off these. Its still early days for you, hang in there, it will subside.

• Posted

Hi Paula,

Thank you so much for your words support.

I have just got to keep positive and know the Itching will eventually subside as you say.

Kind Regards,

Michael

• Posted

Hi Michael,

I realise this is an old post, just wondering how long it did take in the end for the itching to stop?

i found this questions when googling itchiness as a withdrawal side effect because I have been on Amitriptyline for 15 years and now have a heart condition so had to come off it. I was also on Gabapentin for 4 years and that was very nasty especially the withdrawal, Gabapentin worked great for my nerve pain from a spinal fusion but made me too foggy and sadly my short term memory wasnt restored after coming off the drug.

I noticed coming off Amitriptyline my alertness levels improved after just a couple of days but the itchiness is very annoying and affecting my sleep, just thought I would ask how long I should envisage suffering from this?

Thanks

Angela 😃

• Posted

Im here with you Angela, I discovered that I had a genetic polymorphism that meant that I couldnt metabolise Amitriptyline so it was stuck in my body and has been a real battle coming off it. Since I dropped to 5mg and then nothing my skin has been sooooooooo itchy. It is really reassuring to read others have had the similar issue.

Keep me posted on your progress. Good luck. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.