Itchy skin all over body from Amitriptyline

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi There,

Can any one give me some help and advice.

I have been on Amitriptyline for about 4 years to help with hip and back pain

( since been told by a different Doctor i should never have been put on them in the first place )

I started off on 50 mg but found i was having a very dry mouth and a foggy head so

dropped down to 20 mg which i took for about 3 1/2 years.

I decided to stop taking them a few times as the pain never really went away but each time i had severe withdrawal so would always go back on them.

During last summer i decided i was going to come off them for once and for all.

I managed to drop down to 10 mg by September successfully .

The Severe Itchy skin started when i tried to go to 5 mg .

So this is when i went to the Doctors for help.

From October to December the Doctor set out a reduction plan from 10 mg to 5 mg and then finish off on 2.5 mg

I have now not taken Amitriptyline Since the 20th December

Unfortunately the Itchy skin all over my body has still not gone away.

I some times have a break of a few days from the Itching but always comes back.

I have tried Antihistamines and Fexofenadine 180 mg but they have not helped the Itch at all.

I have also had all my Bloods tested which came back fine along with food and allergies all clear.

I think i have just about covered everything.

I really just need some Positive Help or Advice Please.

The Itchy Skin is really affecting my general day to day life Sleeping, Work et

I look forward to hopefully hearing back from some one .

Many thanks,

Mike

I

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I know this is an old thread but I just discovered it. I was on Amitriptyline for over 20 years. I started out for fibromyalgia. I then discovered that it was a migraine preventative. I stopped taking it cold turkey about 2 weeks for personal reasons. The itching started almost immediately. I've tried Benadryl cream and it works a little. Is there anything topical that calms the nerve endings?

• Posted

I was wondering how its going with the itching, my boyfriend stopped

these pills a couple of weeks ago and the itching is awful, do you know of anything that would help this symptom

• Posted

Hi all,

Just a follow up on this thread. I came off Amitryptiline 6 months ago and ive still got terribly itchy skin. I have had all the blood tests which are normal. could someone please tell me when this nightmare will end. I am getting to the stage where i want to go back on them if this itchiness will go away.

• Posted

im having the same problam along with sweaty hands and feet is there anything anyone has tried to stop the itching and its helped

• Posted

Did the itching ever stop? Im suffering and think it may because of this and other serotonin meds. But because the itching is so bad i started taking Gabapentin not knowing it could be from the Amitriptyline. Gabapentin is known to stop pruritus in larger quantities but now im wondering if i stop all meds all together and suffer through it will it be enough or do i have some underlying issue and need to be on it. i have cervical pain and thought that may have been it. maybe tight muscles were compressing a nerve or something. i have been on nortriptyline and recently stopped it and im wondering if that may have had the same affect. Did you ever find relief?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.