Amitriptyline withdrawal and muscle twitches

Posted , 17 users are following.

i weaned myself off Amitriptyline two weeks go. Was on 25mg . Having night sweats and insomnia but also my calve muscle has been twitching for hours and even days at a time. Has anyone experienced muscle twitching?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Yes I am trying to come of 10mg - went down to 5mg a couple of days ago and have since been having muscle twitches all over my body, plus a sort of feeling of shakiness all over, plus horrible nausea.... Really hoping it goes soon, I'm trying to taper off... Hope yours settles soon too!

• Posted

How long have you been on amitriptyline? I was on for two months before weaning off it. I've been off two weeks and muscle twitching started about a week after my last dose. Calve muscle twitches non stop. A little twitching in shoulder.

• Posted

I was only on 5 about weeks... My twitches today are mainly in the bottom of my feet and my calves but I do get them in all sorts of random places too - I took some magnesium last night and this morning which seems to be helping a bit but it's still concerning me...

• Edited

Concerns me also. From what I've read amitriptyline should be out of your system in around 3 weeks but not sure how long side effects hang on. My calve twitches 24/7. Makes it hard to sleep. Hope it runs its course for both of us soon.

• Posted

hi I'm brian

unlike you guys I'd only been on the amitriptaline for 2 day when trying one of the other meds duloxecitine which sent my BP very high I quit both drugs for a few days and noted the heat plus other things I took another amitrip tab but noted it did not help with the sleep I suffer too with the pins and needles before I started these meds like the other said they don't suit everybody and the Dr's don't think outside the box. sorry for any spelling mistakes my hands get shaky never used to happen till I took these drugs

• Posted

hello again

i do beleave the answer for stopping is like the others said 2 options or both reduce the amount gradually and miss a day but how the heck do cut such small tablets in half

also I noted my tolerance for conversation is getting less and wears me down I may have a vitamin difficency as well what with all our other problems put together it's a wonder people get depressed

• Edited

How did you decrease and over what period?

• Edited

I went from 25mg to 10mg for a week. Then down to 5mg for a couple days then off all completely. My twitching stopped after about two weeks. Was on amitriptyline for around two months before i stopped taking it.

• Edited

hi I'm currently on 10mg and my twitching is unreal. Mainly calves constant and tricep but can happen anywhere and feel like I'm vibrating internally it's a disturbing feeling!

hope it's calmed down for you.

A

• Posted

Hello, took about three weeks for mine to stop. I had an episode one night that my entire body twitched and i thought my heart would explode. I've been off three months now. The medicine did help with my nerve pain while on it but its apparent it was doing something not good to cause such with drawl side effects after less than 3 months of taking it. Hope you do better soon!

• Posted

I was on the 25 mg taper to half then stopped . Now about a week later im having these muscle twitches all over , and if I watch close enough I can see the muscle twitch. Does this sound like what you had ?

• Posted

yes, I too get the vibrations. horrible feelings.

• Posted

Hi all, I am currently taking Amytriptyline and have been for approx 2 months. 3 weeks ago increased dose from 10mg per day to 20mg. Muscle twitching across body began shortly after increase, decided to try and wean off so reduced to 10mg again a week ago, only in the past 2 days I now feel like i have an internal tremor - its not visible, but i can feel it all across arms, shoulders, chin, upper chest. It's horrible. I am hoping all this is linked to the drug and not the beginnings of a serious neurological disorder like Parkinsons or MS!

I have taken the decision to wean off completely, will take 10mg on alternate days this week and then stop altogether.

Id be interested to hear how your twitching symptoms continued or ceased after weaning. Thanks in advance!

• Posted

After slowly reducing my mg Mine lasted for a couple weeks. One night i woke up convulsing . Id been on 25mg for 3 months . Hope you feel better soon . It was a scary time for me .

• Posted

I was on 25 mg and Xanax 0.5mg for a month (post herpetic nerve pain). My last dose was a week ago and have been having jerky movements on my left shoulder, knee, wrist and fingers night time and twitches in my thighs and waist all day. Was worried about getting fits and my GP gave me Epilim (drug for fits), but did not help. Lucky to have read your thread and stop taking it . Took me about 10 days to have the twitches ease off.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.