Amitriptaline for migraine

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have suffered migraines for years, recently had the worst one ever and have now been prescribed Amitriptaline, just wondering if anyone has had success with this? Or indeed, any bad experiences...

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi sarah i have headachs since last year doc prescribe me amitriptaline 10mg then i have to increase 10mg every week when i reach 30mg i felt no difference all i realised thse tablets make me more sleepy then i left them and doc prescribe me sodium volproate 200mg im having it first few weeks it lessen my pain but after that same problem i have headachs everyday then after that i feel.nausea doc have done ct scan last year in november but they found nothing even today i went to a&e but acording to them its nothing serious but i knw i have problem no one understands i dont know wat to do???
    • Posted

Hi there, sounds really miserable for you. I expect you have been prescribed these for nausea already,  but I've found the "under the lip" stematil tablets very useful in getting rid of nausea, freeing up my stomach, so I can then use painkillers properly.  I think doctors struggle with treating migraine so much because the triggers can be so varied, and there is a lack of understanding in pinpointing exactly why they occur.
  • Posted

Hi

I was finally prescribed amitriptyline by my neurologist after trying several other meds for migraine associated vertigo (MAV), which is migraines with vertigo symptoms instead of the headaches. It has been a wonder drug for me & I would recommend anyone with (MAV) try it. I hope it works for you too, it took approx 2 weeks for it to start working so do give it a chance!

• Posted

Thank you, yes I believe I have mav now. In the past I suffered classic migraines, but the last couple I've had vertigo symptoms before and during the headache. Didn't think anything could be worse than a straight migraine, but turns out there is! I am going to keep going with the amitriptaline, and check the dose etc. hope your treatment keeps you well.
    • Posted

I hope they work for you! I don't think anyone can understand what it's like until they've suffered themselves! I still have the odd dizzy spell but it usually passes within minutes, think I will have to fight my GP if she tries taking me off the amitriptyline - they've really been my saviour!!

Hope you get sorted soon. Let me know how you go x

• Posted

Hi Sarah Jane,

I manage my severe hemiplegic migraine with Amytriptiline. I take 60mg at seven o'clock at night. It is essential to keep my headache away. It takes ten days to kick in and I had to play around with the dose. In the end 60mg was perfect. Any more and my driving was affected any less and I had pain. When I ran out of drugs at Easter the  headache came back and was so intense I fainted. Those who say it makes them too tired have not worked out the dose and are not taking them at the right time of day. I can't stress enough though that a good neck massage regularly is very good for migraines, it's about getting to the root cause which is often about realigning your neck. 

• Posted

Thank you, that's very good to hear. I had felt that my migraines might partly be due to stiffness/uncomfortable neck, but some of the gps I have seen don't appear to be very knowledgeable about migraine!   I have learned more so much from these forums over last few days.  I am on low dose of amtrip, so I will  bear in mind that dose may need increasing , I wasn't even told that.
  • Posted

Made me like a Zombie, very tired bad temper. Works for some not for others me being one .

• Posted

No, amitriptaline didn't work for me. Also tried noritripeline and sodium volperate up to the maximum dosage, that hasn't worked either. Still getting migraines at least every 7-10days. My GP has written to my neurologist, waiting to hear what they want to try next. I have got to the point where I think I've just got to live with it and take sumatriptan as and when I get an attack. Sumatriptan does work wonders for me. I take it as soon as I get the start of a migraine and it goes within an hour.
    • Posted

Yeah amitriptaline didnt work for me even soduim volproate is not working for me aswel think is im confused the headachs i got is it type of migrain or what mostly i have pain in the middle of my head means center of head then it spread away other part of head they done ct scan found nothing theu said i have chronic headach dont know what type of head is it these days it hurting too much cant do anything any help???
    • Posted

Thank you, I think I have not had very good care from my gps re migraines, I never heard of sumatriptan, sounds brilliant - the major problem for me is waking up with a migraine with

no warning, so being able to take a drug that will work even when a headache has started would be great.

• Posted

I don't where you live but sumatriptan is available on prescription in the UK. You can also buy it over the counter under the brand name Imigrain but they only come in a packet of 2 for about £8. Like you I often wake up with the start of a headache, for example this morning I woke up at 5.10, took a tablet and by the time I was due to get up, the pain had gone and I was able to function as normal.

I was told by the pharmacist the last time I collected my prescription that I shouldn't take more than 12 a month due to the risk of stroke but fortunately I don't get that many migraines but even once a week is too many.

So the next time you see your GP mention it to him to see if it would be suitable for you. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.