Amitriptylin

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

I've been on Amitriptylin for 3 years now (25) mg for trapped nerve pain and arthritis.

Last night my left side of my face was tingling then numb for a couple of hour's. Today my left side hip downwards is so painful I'm unable to put my weight on it..my daughter as told me amitriptyline has been banned,

Has anyone else been told about this apparently it can cause heart problems.

Sylviajean34

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi amtrypline hasn't been banned. I don't think they are bad for your heart otherwise doc would not prescibe them.only down for me is the coming off them.all the best

• Posted

Hi Desmond

That's what I told my daughter as I only had my prescription last week.

All meds have side affects. I hope you manage to come off of them OK.

I was taking codydramol for 9 years moved home and new GP weaned me off of them said they're addictive and I shouldn't of been left on them.They did the job with pain relief though.

• Posted

I was on amtrypline for short time for headaches but didn't do me any good lol.but had a job comin of the buggers.I'm ok now just left still with the headaches. Wish you well

• Posted

Sylvia

I take this medication at 75mg evening for nerve damage throught my body. I have taken this medication now for well over ten years and although it is not as clean as others on the market they do work and in my case keep me with restricted movement.

At this time I have not heard about this medication being banned with yellow or red card. Many  Doctors however may start different medications in preference to above.

With regards to the pain in your face this could be caused by a Nuralga so if it continues talk to your GP. You are not on a high dose of this medication as its main use is an Antidepressent.

If you have Arthritis and you are having problems with one of your hips it may be your medications will need to be changed or treatment and checkups may be needed.

Talk to your GP

BOB

• Posted

Thank you Bob

I haven't got paininmy face it's numbness then pins and needles

I'm OK with Amitriptyln it was my daughters friend that mentioned it to her,

She said it can cause heart problems but I told her all meds have side affects.

It was the codydramol that the GP weaned me off of it wasn't easy but feel pain now im not taking it.

Regards Sylvia

• Posted

Try a Dual  TENS for your leg and hip, I use it when I suffer Sciatica. That hopefully will help you take less Pain Medications as you become used to its use.

I use BODY CLOCK to get my machines. We pay no VAT if we have a Chronic Condition. Your GP can arrange training.

There are other devices they supply that may help you. They last cost me about £60 a while ago

BOB

BOB

• Posted

Hi

Thanks for advice I'll try a tens machine

Heard about them but never tried one.

Thank Bob

• Posted

Sylvia

If you have problems I may be able to help you with its use.

I went on a course when I was at Pain Clinic

Good Luck

BOB

• Posted

Amitriptyline is a tricyclic antidepressant prescribed in lower doses to treat pain. No, it hasn't been banned. Links have been made between taking tricyclics and an increased risk of heart attack or stroke but that can be said about a lot of drugs. You shouldn't use this drug if you have had a recent heart attack and should consult your doctor if you have a history of heart disease but as you have been on this drug for three years it would be odd if the doctor didn't know.

• Posted

I don't know about it being banned but what you are discribing are some side effect of the drug. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.