Amitriptyline 10 mg

Posted , 4 users are following.

was wondering if anyone had problems with their eyes by taking this tablet thanks in advance

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Val

Yes I have but I was taking 150mg a night was having really blurred vision. Day and night like a strange hazy vision. Spoke to pain consultant told me to stop them.. So go back to your G.P

Hope this helps I know they really are good for pain but not worth jeopardising your eyesight for good luck

• Posted

Hi thanks you have a high dosage ! Will need to keep notes on it but I just want to fall asleep by mid morning but I was doingvtgat before. I appreciate your response, i hate taking tablets but I guess the time has come , many thanks
  • Posted

Hi Val

I nearly lost my eyesight completely whilst taking Amitriptyline last October. They triggered Sudden Onset Acute Angled Closure Glaucoma and I had to get to York Hospital very quickly where they brought the pressure down in my eyes using various drugs followed by emergency laster eye surgery on both eyes. I am slowly losing my sight now but hopefully I can get replacement lens and cataract removal to help with this. Please do not play with your eyesight - certain people are pre-disposed to having eye problems when taking Amitriptyline although it is very rare. Hope you get this sorted soon

• Posted

Yes .. i was only taking 10mg for 4 weeks now on 5mg 1 week. My eyesight v v v blurry at all distances. And v v v photo sensitive...... i weaning off now. That along with the day time zombie feeling and other nasty side effects to much for me.. i done with this med..... Some people love it despite side effects cos they get other benefits. Good luck to you...........
  • Posted

I had a bad experience with beta blocker but threw them out within the first two weeks. I have eye issues. Many meds effect the eyes. They Usually note it. Many depression meds and anti anxiety meds can effect the eyes. Everyone should get a full exam before going on any medicines for an extended time and every doctor should tell their patients that 
  • Posted

Hi guys thank you very much for your replies I appreciate you taking time to comment. I hate tablets with a vengeance ! I get watery eyes and light sensitivity so maybe I need to stop them to see if this stops and then see if they are t

he issue.

• Posted

How long were you taking it .... it is never advisable to just stop....may need to wean.... find out how to do safely
    • Posted

Hi it only my first week. But I do have a cough and a bit of a sniffle as I started , could my eyes be with that I wonder. I work in an office and I have day light bouncing off a building coming into my window and a watery eye and by 11.30 I really really want to sleep and close my eyes. I kind of squint my eyes also to focus. I think I will keep on them this weekend to sre if I have a problem while I'm at home with no office lighting and environment. Ta x
  • Posted

Hi Val

If your eyes are reacting to them there is a problem. The leaflet that comes with them advises you to report any eye problems straight to your GP so please do. Never risk your sight for any reason - it is the most precious thing you have. If the problem improves outside the office, you need to ask your employer to move you away from where you presently sit. They are obliged for Health & Safety reasons to do this. I do hope you resolve this quickly.

• Posted

Hi thanks all for your responses I really do appreciate you taking your time in posting comments m I have decided that since I have only been on them a week I am stopping only to see if it is the cold I have that is masking the symptoms. Then once I have rid of the cold etc I will retry so then I will know. Practically any tablets I get I always have side effects !. But I have been referred to glangwili hospital. I have kyphoscoliosis and nerve damage all down leg (numb) and bad heel and he Lowe back has finally got to me.

• Posted

I have stopped the tablets and had to go to docs eventually yester as for the past week is so I have had sore eyes. Now I am on a cream for my eye as I have an ulcer actually on my eye !! Not related I was told !!! Plus I have an appointment with optician tomorrow just make sure .
  • Posted

You are doing the right thing going to the Optician to get checked out. They do affect the eyes (so many people will attest to this) and GP's should be made more aware of this. Has your GP suggested you could try something else instead as there are alternatives that could be tried, depending on the reason you have been put on amitriptyline in the first place. Let us know how the eye check goes and good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.