Amitriptyline 10mg for headaches and anxiety please share

Posted , 31 users are following.

Hi, I am new to the forum.

​I have struggled for many years with health and general anxiety, i am at a ppoint now that I have to hold my hands up and admit I cant do this on my own anymore.

​I am on day 3 of taking the amitriptyline, i am scared every time i take it, what could happen.

​Please can you ahre your experiicene, if you have taken ami for the reasons i shared and has it worked for you.

​I have a busy job, mum and wife and need to be able to still do all these things.

​Also, i enjoy a glass of wine, can you ahve a drink, miss a dose??

​I look forward to the replys.

3 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've just come back from the doctors with instructions to start 10mg of Amitriptyline increasing to 20mg in 2 weeks time.  I've been suffering from migraines for years but lately they have increased to twice a week so I needed to take action as my life is suffering badly from them.  Has anyone else had success with this drug for migraine? If so what dosage do you take?  Also I forgot to ask but I'm assuming I can still take my triptans while on this drug?  Strange I feel nervous starting it tonight as I'm not used to taking drugs all the time but I'm desperate now! I look forward to any reply. 

• Posted

I've been taking 10mg of amitriptyline every night for around five months and, happily, it stopped my almost weekly migraines altogether. I was hoping it would also decrease the aches and discomfort I get from fibromyalgia but haven't noticed any difference to that, even when my doctor increased the dose to 20mg for a while. I think it may be helping me to sleep better too, although it's possibly making me need to sleep longer in the morning, but this is hard to determine when I experience fatigue with the fibromyalgia too. Give it some time, as it can take a few weeks to be effective. I hope you have as good a response to the medication as I have. 

• Posted

I have been taking fluoxetine for anxiety and depression for many years. Now in later life (65) I have arthritis in my spine which causes sciatica. I was prescribed 10mg of amitriptyline for the pain after having tried various other pain killers and exercise. The amitriptyline worked like magic on the sciatica but with consultation with my doctor decided to wean myself off fluoxetine. For the last few months I have been getting progressively uptight and and anxious. Had appt at surgery today saw a doctor new to the surgery. Didn't find him very helpful but between us decided to increase the amitriptyline to 20mg. I really hope this does the trick because I am feeling very low at present. Just keep crying. Someone on here the that boredom causes depression for me it is the other way round. When I am depressed I can't be bothered to do anything and then I am bored and then I set more depressed. A vicious circle. Anyone else had similar experiences

• Posted

Hi have just started on 10mg has anybody put on weight taking these.  Thanks debbie
  • Posted

Hi,

I have been taking Amitriptyline 10mg for about a month and a half, and it hasn’t improved my headaches. I have put on a stone since I started them, and also started to experience visual effects (may not be Ami related). Is it supposed to start working yet? I dont feel drowsy on them or anything.

• Posted

Hi Chloe,

I started on 10mg about a year ago for daily migraine headaches, it had no effect on me whatsoever either until my Gp upped the dose to 25mg. I then knew it was in my system as I started sleeping much better ( it was hard at first as it made me feel extremely drowsy through the day too but my Gp warned me I’d feel like this for a few weeks and to stick with it) I’m So glad I did as this feeling wore off and my daily migraines stopped.

I was getting about 4-5per month instead. We then upped the dose to 50mg and I’m near enough migraine free now :-) it sounds to me like you may need to up the dose slowly with your Gp.

I take mine about 6pm so it relaxes me but I don’t struggle to wake up in morning then.

I’m not sure if it’s the amitriptaline causing your sight to be a bit off... I can feel like that a bit in the evening but not through the day. I did start to put weight on in the beginning but I realised that it just gave me a bigger appetite, so I just had to make some healthier choices and it’s leveled out now. Hope it’s going well for you.. I’d stick with it :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.