Amitriptyline 10mg giving me more headaches

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been given amitriptyline 10mg for chronic tension headaches and I'm on day 3 and it feels as if my headaches have gone worse is this normal

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi mrmartin. It is normal to experience side effects when you first start amitriptyline. Mine lasted about 3 months, (grogginess, heavy/fuzzy head), but they do go away. If they havent by then go see your gp.

Take care!!

• Posted

Give it some time. Your body needs to get used to this new drug introduced to your body.I am on 20 mg right now and I can tell you going fro 1 or 2 migraines a week to maybe 1 a month. Hang in there
  • Posted

Hi Mrmartin,, I'm on 50MG of Amatriptalin amoungs others,,,will take a while before you feel the benefit,,,stick with them,,,I'm sure you will feel the benefits of them,,,been on them 7 years now,,,

• Posted

It's hard ...been on them 3 days and headache is worse and feel very zoned out..I'm starting new job next week and don't wanna be like this

• Posted

When I 1st started taking it I was groggy and fuzzy after about 4 days I felt much better
  • Posted

As i mentioned earlier mrmartin, i was groggy & fuzzy for 3 months & i continued with work.

If you are starting a new job next week, firstly many congratulations on your achievement. But do explain to your new employer that you have recently been prescribed amitriptyline & may experience the above symptoms & that you are still adapting to the tablets. 

Take care!

• Posted

Your get through it Mr Martin,, like the rest if us,,,hang on in there,,good luck in your new job,,,,,try not to think to much about your medication,,,
  • Posted

Being groggy is fine but my headaches at the moment is 10x worse than usual and it morning I was coughing up blood. I think I'm gonna stop and see my GP next week

• Posted

Headaches yes but coughing up blood,,,can't remember it saying that in side effects,,,,

Doctors best thing,,,,

• Posted

Its difficult to say.

I was on amitriptyline 10mg for 2 months as a migraine preventative and tension headache relief.

Whilst it did help sleep, my migraines were much more frequent and severe. The tension headaches a lot worst.

I switch to propranolol and had instantly better results within 7 days or so. Glad I switched!

Maybe ask the GP?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.