Amitriptyline 10mg withdrawal. How much longer?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey all,

So I have been taking amitriptyline 10mg for 2 years, and just recently tapered off fairly rapidly.

I was prescribed them for severe OCD, which I conquered about a year ago.

I don't know if how I'm feeling is down to withdrawal from this drug, but I feel awful.

Depressed, moody, very irritable, and most annoyingly of all - internal tremors that feel like my bed is constantly vibrating.

I tapered down from 10mg to 5mg and then took one every other day, this process was about 3 weeks until I stopped completely.

And it's been 4 weeks since I stopped completely.

I know such a small dose shouldn't cause such withdrawal symptoms, but it definitely does, as about a year ago I ran out of them for 10 days and felt awful then too.

I've flirted with the idea of jumping back on them and then tapering down even more gradually (if that's even possible), but I don't want to end up back at square one, when I could be so close to reaching the end of these withdrawal symptoms.

The questions I need answering are:

After 4 weeks of these withdrawal symptoms, should I ride it out from here, or jump back on and try tapering off more slowly?

How much longer are these symptoms likely to last?

Also, are there any vitamins or supplements I could take to make this easier in the meantime?

Thanks

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Joe - I can see no one has replied to your post and I just wanted to recommend that you give the website survivingantidepressants.org a try - there are people there who will be so helpful for exactly this kind of query, they can give you all the right guidance. Take care xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.