Amitriptyline

Posted , 8 users are following.

How long did you take amitriptyline before you felt the effects for sleeplessness?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

If you mean how long after takng each tablet, it was never instant , could take a couple of hours . What strength are you takng? 
    • Posted

I am on 20 mg per night.  Some nights it seems to have no effect, sometimes I sleep better but still fitfully.
  • Posted

20mg didn't work for me , but I know others that take 10 and it works .. It may rake a while to get into your system. 
  • Posted

I have wondered this myself

I was told it should work straight away for sleep, however on the leaflet that comes with the tablets under side effects it states insomnia and trouble sleeping.....

I am on 60 mg I have no trouble getting to sleep but im still waking in the night although I can get Bck to sleep most of the time.

• Posted

I was taking 75mg and it use to take me at least an hour, then i wouldn't stay asleep.

, and whilst i was on the Ami sometimes i would need to get something stronger from my GP.sorry not very encouraging  I have came off the Ami now after 13 years, and i do get a better quality of sleep.

• Posted

I have been put on amitripyline 5 days ago now and my muscles seem to ache even more at the moment it's for nerve pain and sleep for night time she put me on it for. but saying about sleep i can nod off easily enough but i wake couple times a night still and wake up very groggy.
  • Posted

Angela, when I first tried ami I ached all over after a few days ...it do go off a bit and stopped the sharp nerve pain and helped me sleep....until I realised the high dose was making me a zombie .. 
    • Posted

Hi pam thanks for that thought I was goin mad as pain been worse how long does it take to go off. 
  • Posted

I don't know if it really ever did. I went up to 50 mg . The nerve pain went and. Sleeping was much better although I did often wake up , I could go back to sleep ..after 2 plus months  I realised they had totally slowed me down , and although the sharp pain had gone , I still ached a bit , and just didn't feel right .. I stopped taking them ...it took about 3 weeks  with side effects to get back to feeling ok. I probably should have gradually reduced ..The nerve pain is back , but I feel human . I know people that do take low doses and are great , but they didn't suit me ... 
  • Posted

I am on  20mg for nerve pain. It has reduced the severe pain most of the time but some days it comes back with a vengeance and just wipes me out for the day. However I have excessive sweating which is horrid. I know it's hot but at odd times my whole body will drip with sweat. It is uncomfortable and  embarrassing having to wipe the sweat dripping off my nose and steaming up my specs. Does anyone else get this?
    • Posted

I was on pamelor for many years for depression once I started having panic attacks the pamelor was not working and immediately started me on this meds. I noticed immediately I was able to sleep well and sudden sweating/hot flashes. Is this normal?
  • Posted

I have found founr that it takes about 5 hours before I feel sleepy with Amitriptyline so take it that much before I wish to sleep.  It's been a bit of trial and error but it's worth it as it does help with my nerve pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.