Amitriptyline

Posted , 7 users are following.

I got blurred vision on only 10mg. Does anyone know how long it takes to wear off if I stop it or if I continue taking it?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

It will take a few weeks and you should be fine. It will be easier for you as you were on a very low dose
  • Posted

I take 30 mg every nite been on it since last May I still get groggy every morning that's on top of my 6-8 tramdol I take for pain sleep between 12-14 hours 
  • Posted

I was taking 100mg at night for quite a while, at least a year and I have just been coming off it as I didnt think it was doing me any good. I am now down to 5mg at night after cutting the last of the 10mg in half. I had to decrease the dose by 10mg each week on the advice of my doctor, but now Im getting the brain zaps which sometimes happens. Although I have these now, I know its the withdrawal from the meds so Im not giving up now.
    • Posted

brain zaps are something which are common when you are coming off any kind of meds which are things like Sertraline or Amitriptyline. Its a feeling of literally 'zapping' in your brain when you move your head. Its a feeling like you have never felt before and it lasts as long as you are coming off the meds and the time it takes for them to get out of your system. Sometimes, the zaps make you dizzy when you stand up or lie down,  but it actually feels like someone is 'zapping' you in the brain. When I first had them, I didnt know wha the hell they were and I dragged myself off to the doctors, even though I couldnt see or walk very well. They didnt tell me what they were, but it was a symptom of coming off meds which they had given me. Be VERY careful when you are reducing meds as the docs never tell you about withdrawal symptoms. I was coming off Venlafaxine as I was told to stop them for 5 days and then take Sertraline...I spent the 5 days either with my head down the toilet being sick or lying on the bed hardly being able to move. I have found that a lot of people go through the same thing through being on here and its good to know that others have the same problems through meds which are given to us.
    • Posted

You are definately feeling withdrawal from your meds. The 'brain 'zapping' is horrible. I know how it feels
    • Posted

Marie, I stopped taking amitriptyline in Aug 2016 the withdrawal symptoms are hell. I feel like I'm dying. The feeling in my head is scarey, it's not pain its like my heads full, weird difficult to explain, is this brain zaps? I was on amitriptyline for 15. How long did your withdrawal symptoms last?

• Posted

Hi,I started amitriptyline for chronic headaches on 25 mg, side effects different from yours lasted 4 to 5 weeks,I still had headaches but felt different so went up to 50mg so I now have again a dry mouth and feel like I'm dribbling when I talk but a least I know that hopefully sideaffects won't  last for long,and one other thing s my headaches are better,I feel another 25 mg in 3 weeks I will be fine.don't forget we all act and feel differently on these drugs,I take a lot of other meds for many years now and have learned by my mistakes not to give in to soon,hope for feel better and it works for you.☺
  • Posted

I've been put on these 4 weeks ago 10mg then to double now to 30mg a night. For fibromyalgia, I have blurred visions, niggling headache but the most horrendous aches and pains. Like it's emphasising my already really sore symptoms. Can't concentrate, can't retain information well. I feel like there making me worse. Tripled then tonight for the first time and I'm literally exhausted with pain everywhere. What's everyone else's side effects? Anyone else got fibromyalgia if so what meds are you on? Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.