Amitriptyline

Posted , 3 users are following.

after using Tramadol for several months with limited success I have now been pescribed Amitriptyline also to aid sleep. I was constantly waking up at night in pain but this is seeming to work thankfully.

Is it a concern though that it does knock me out and I do work night shifts..... 

Perhaps I need to change my shift pattern temporary?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I took it for a week, helps you sleep. I struggled waking up and felt groggy the next day so I couldn't take it.
    • Posted

That's my concern Amy... I work call out shifts so I'm not I would be wide awake to drive in the middle of the night ?
    • Posted

Been on it a year starting at 10mg now on 30-40 mg and I'm still getting hangovers from it good drug but the next mornings are a pain
  • Posted

I've been taking Amitriptyline for about 2 months, am now up to 45mg / day.  The advice is to take before you go to bed; I take it around 7.30pm and am then fine when I wake up in the morning.  It does make the actual waking a bit harder but once you're awake it's OK.  It takes about 5-6 weeks to get to that stage though.  You may need to change the time of day you take it to fit in with your night shifts.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.