Amitriptyline

Posted , 2 users are following.

Told the doctor I'm not sleeping and instead of prescribing sleeping tablets she has given me Amitriptyline. I absolutely did not want more AD. I already take 45mg of Mirtazapine a day I just wanted sleeping tablets to get back to a regular sleeping pattern.

Has anyone had Amitriptyline before if so did it help or have any side effects?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi doctors are very wary of giving sleeping pills out these days especially in the UK,  and only prescribe them if there is no other choice and then only for short periods.  They are very addictive and apparently can interfere with your natural sleep cycle,  sometimes on a permanent basis. 

I am not on amitriptyline but have heard others on them say they find them good.  I believe they are given for pain relief as well as depression

• Posted

I don't have a natural sleep cycle that's why I wanted Zopiclone I know they can't prescribe for long but I've had them twice before helped me develop a normal sleeping pattern. I don't need anymore antidepressants. Gonna speak to another doctor & see what they say.

• Posted

Hi there, I had Amitriptyline at the lowest dose for a short period. I felt Amitriptyline is more for nerve pain relieve while its sleep inducing effect is not as long as quetiapine and as effective as imovane. Among the three, I think quetiapine was quite good for me and imovane was too addictive , I really had hard time withdrawing from it. Today, I quited all Amitriptyline, quetiapine, and imovane. I only take half tablet clonazepam for a more stable sleep. Clonazepam effect is very weak I take it because its less addictive.

Good luck !

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I started them last night it got me to sleep but I sfill woke up through the night so not feeling very hopeful
    • Posted

That's normal. Because your anxiety depression is making your brain very active even during sleep thus you will not get very deep sleep and wake up easily. You may have many nightmares as well. It really took a long time to heal for me.

• Posted

Yeah they've given me horrible weird dreams which has caused me to grind my teeth at night so I'm waking up with stabbing pains through my temple. Gonna speak to my doctor see if I can get anything else. Thank you for your reply x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.