Amitriptyline

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had been taking amitriptyline for nearly 18 years to stop severe burning tingling sensation on upper right lip after operation for trigeminal neuralgia, everything was fine until Lloyd's pharmacy decided to supply me a cheap variety about three months before Christmas 2017. This cheaper drug caused me a number of side affects, unfortunately this coincided with my husband having severe mobility issues and we found ourselves in a very stressful situation, I really should have seen GP but I just stopped taking drug, and the consequence was the stuff of nightmares, not least for my poor husband who suffered the lashing of my tongue on a number of occasions, he really didn't need or deserve it, but I didn't realize what was happening to me, until my daughter told me I'd gone cold turkey, big advice for others don't do it, the only compensation for me is that I can now do without amitriptyline but didn't realize it, 18 years on!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Bless you Marlene, not a good way to find out you can do without this drug. Generics are often made with fillers and talc and patients definitely display side effects of the change. Anyone else wishing to come off long term use of Amitriptyline should consider doing so slowly and carefully. 10% taper is advised with a week or two between drops to allow the brain and central nervous system to stabilise. It is such a shame that Doctors continue to give out repeat scripts for so many years without asking the patient if they wish to taper off and see if the original symptoms may have disappeared. I am happy that you now no longer need to take Amitriptyline and wish you well in the future.
  • Posted

Hi Marlene  wow poor you and your husband, i have been coming off 10 mg for the past 11 months and i am day 19 of no amitriptyline. I reduced very slow even had it it liquid form so 1 mg at a time but, the first 9 days were fine but, now i am  experiencing  the withdrawal cramps, nausea, back pain, bloating, headaches. I was only on the drug 2 years. How long did your withdrawal last and what symptoms did you have. I also have burning tongue which, has returned . Have your symptoms returned? xx
    • Posted

hi Amanda, yes I had all the symptoms you've had, still having some, I can't believe I have got off so lightly as I was on 25mg a night, my mouth is still quite sore and burning too, I'm so glad I was never tempted by "recreational drugs" i never liked taking any tablets really, anyway I think I'm through the worst of it, just got to concentrate on looking after hubby, he had hip replacement on Saturday and came home tonight, take care xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.