Amitriptyline and ear ringing!!

Posted , 15 users are following.

Is anyone else getting this?  If I come of the amitripyline will it stop?

1 like, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Anyone taking 'diazepam for the ringing in the ears?  I think it helps to calm me down a bit I am finding this so distressing!!!!
    • Posted

Hey valerie01412. My neurologist put me on diazepam for ear ringing & tmj in my jaw. Apparently my chronic pain causes me to bite down. I don't grind my teeth at night or have any damage to my teeth per my dentist. I have noticed a little bit of difference with the diazepam, but not enough to be comfortable with the ringing. I also take 600mg of gabapentin at night which can also cause ringing (have been taking a few years). I recently started Effexor 25mg which is helping a good bit with my pain that I asked my pain mgmt dr to lower my Percocet! I consider that a plus! The Effexor can cause ringing too. There is a list of meds on the internet that can cause ear ringing & there are so many drugs on it! It seems almost everything I take is on it! I'm not sure what to do. I may have to go up on the Effexor, but might try coming down off the gabapentin. I am with you as far as being distressed. At night it's the worst. Keep us updated on how you're doing & if you find something that helps. I had a hearing test a year ago Oct & I have lost hearing & I'm only 45! I will keep you updated as well if I find anything that helpslol

• Posted

I feel guilty bringing this topic up again, but I am SO SO distressed by this ringing in my ears that I feel like I shall have a nervous breakdown.  I am now taking 15mg nightly, if I just stopped taking them would this ringing go??   I NEED it to go, even an upset stomach would be preferable, is there anyone here who can give me any sort of reassurance about this? PLEASE !!!!
  • Posted

Hi Valerie, do you mind if I ask you what you are taking the amitriptyline for? Maybe there is something else you could try. If you are going to come off it, please do reduce it gradually. Might be as well to speak to your Dr about the effect it is having on you and see if they can recommend something else. Good luck, hope you get to the bottom of it. Xx
  • Posted

I have been on Amitriptyline for about 6 weeks now and the ringing in my ears started as soon as I got up to 50mg a day and it's there most of the time. I am on the drug to help prevent migraine and headaches but as yet it's not working. I am planning to go back to my doctor as I'd like to come off it now. I've also noticed weight gain of about 7lbs already, not happy :-(
    • Posted

Yes, I get the ringing, it makes me tired most of the day and I have an awful taste in my mouth all the time. Not great side effects and worse still it's not working!!
    • Posted

Mine had just 'kicked in' at 8 weeks and I was just beginning to feel a bit better when this intolerable ringing started.  I am on it for Depression, can't take SSRI's they give me constant diarrhoea.  Yes the tiredness is still there although now that I have decided to come off it because of this ear ringing, the tiredness is now replaced with anxiety!!! the anxiety is awful!!!
  • Posted

The ringing is replaced today with a lot of popping noises, is that a good sign??  please tell me it is.
    • Posted

Anyone who has been through this?

• Posted

Well I am now off the Amitriptyline, took last one on Tuesday, does anyone please have any idea when the ringing in my ears will begin to lessen/stop?

I was taking the drug for 7 weeks.

• Posted

Hi Valerie. I am in same boat. Having ringing in ears. Stopped Am. and it started to go away. Dr and I thought maybe it wasn't the Am. so I started again (with ringing still occurring) and within 1 hour of taking first pill the ringing came back as hard as ever.

Am really quite distressed. Have stopped a few days ago - but the ringing is still quite bad.

Did your ear ringing clear up completely? How long did it take?

Thank you for any help.

• Posted

I just started it a few days ago. Have been having headaches after a car accident. The neurologist said: if the damage to your brain is neurological this will take care of it.

It made my head numb, blurred my vision much more, I was having increased numbness and tingling in my hands, arm, feet, legs...and dizziness to the point were I could barely keep my balance. I was so irritated I stopped taking it 72 hours ago. It was the minimum dose that was prescribed to me. Here, in NY, USA it's 25 milligrams. In about 30 hours after stopping, I started having major ringing in my right ear. On and off. I hope this goes away soon. Thank you so much for speaking up. Otherwise I would not know what to think of this.

P.s. it's hard to even write this. I keep making mistakes because my head is barely following and my vision and coordination are impacted so much. Plus I'm still feeling nauseous. And my experience with this has been barely a week.

I would just ban this drug.

• Posted

Hello Valerie, I've been taking Amitriptyline for over two years now to prevent headaches and migraines and I started experiencing ringing in the ears almost 6-8 months after starting it. I am on 30 mg now and I came through your conversations and Thank God I did coz it didn't pass my mind that Amit. could be causing this. Did you stop the Amit.? If yes, did you substitute it with another medication? also, did the ringing go away? If anyone's reading this and wants to share his input in this regard plz do. I appreciate.

• Posted

Hello Beluga. My ears have been ringing non stop for 4 or 5 days now. I also suffer from migraines. I have been taking Flexeril & Maxalt (I've heard they cause ear ringing also), but nothing for migraine "maintenance" except for Botox every 4 months. I started taking 10mg of Elavil on 9/14 after getting Botox & talking with my neurologist. I thought maybe getting on a maintenance drug would make me take less of the other 2 drugs. This ringing is making me nuts. I have to sleep with music playing. I took Elavil 5-6 years ago starting at 25mg & then moving to 50mg. I loved it bc it helped with migraines, plus helped a little with my chronic back pain. I have had meniere's disease before, so I don't know if it has come back or if it might be related to age (I'm 45). I quit taking the Elavil the first time bc it made my mouth dry. I hope this helps you. I didn't know that Gabapentin (Neurontin) also causes ear ringing! I have been on 600mg for 2-3 years! My neurologist put me on 10mg of Valium earlier this year & it did help a little. My goal is to stop taking so many meds, but it seems like I'm just adding to. The 10mg of Elavil did help me sleep, but since I've been reading these posts, I'm coming off of it today! I can't handle any more ringing! Maybe my next drug to come off would be the Gabapentin (maybe down to 300mg). I hope this helps you or at least realize you're not alone! Someone mentioned sleeping with earplugs. Glad it works for them, but the ringing is inside my ear & the earplugs just make it louder!

• Posted

I've had the ringing in my ear for over a month and have hearing loss. ??I wouldn't recommend this drug to anyone !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.