Amitriptyline and ear ringing!!

Posted , 15 users are following.

Is anyone else getting this?  If I come of the amitripyline will it stop?

1 like, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have been on this medication for nerve damage caused by PSA  and I have never had this contraindication

BOB

• Posted

Valerie, how are you now ? I'm just now dealing with this and it's very depressing.

• Posted

Hi,

Just could not believe that at last I am reading about ringing in the ears.

I am taking 20 mg amitrtypp at night for rib pains ... costochondritis,

I have had ear ringing off and off, not really bothered, but at a Xmas dinner

All people at the table heard, asked the doc, he says can you record it?????

Er.... no, I don't know when it will happen.

Please tell me someone out there has a ringing all can hear.

• Posted

Yes, I have had it, it was a Xmas dinner and all the guests heard it, it lasted about two weeks, then no more till a month ago butnp only twice. Al the best Maggie
  • Posted

Hi Valerie,

I have been taking it for just over a week and have suddenly developed ringing in my ears for 2 days. Did you have any improvement after ceasing taking Amitriptyline? I am now freaking out it is permanent as the ringing is really quite loud.

• Posted

Yes definately I get the same so been trying to come off them but just can't sleep, no matter how tired I am. I also have recently realised that they were causing me to be anxious. I was on 50mg but now reduced to 25mg but will have to start lowering the dosage gradually.

• Posted

Hi,

I have been taking amptryptiline for two years, 25mg,

I had ringing over Xmas, the strange thing was other people could hear it. Has that happened to you. My doctor said to record it, impossible because I didn't know when it was going to happen. I havebonly had two more much later since then. All the best, maggie

• Posted

Hi Valerie, I don't know if other people can hear it as I always have it during the night, it wakes me up, although it isn't happening as much since I reduced the dosage. I think once I'm off it altogether the ringing will stop.

• Posted

I started Amtripteline 25mg at night in July for tension headaches.

The ear ringing started in LH ear in Aug and now in both ears in Oct.

I wish I never took this Amtripteline - I'm going to gradually come off it to see if it eases the ringing as its quite annoying now.

• Posted

SO I dealt with this for six  months-vertigo ,tinnitus,migraines . I thought it’s would never end but thank God, I found solutions . My ENT put a tube in my ear that was ringing and injected a series of steroids . I came off all migraines meds and found alternatives  . I take one sudafed and one Benadryl every night before bed and it prevents me from waking up with a headache . I also started the Botox shots for migraines . Not sure if it’s the combination but it has worked wonders for me . I know everyone is different but with a lot of prayer and this regimen,I am ten times better .  Just want to shed some light for those who feel hopeless ,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.