Amitriptyline and nausea side effect how long

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys i have been on 10mg amitriptyline for 6 nights now for severe pins and needles and pain in legs and arms. I have m.e but am now awaiting a nerve conduction test and mri of lumbar neck and brain for possible m.s. i had quite bad nausea before but its even worse now so mu question is how long should i expect the nausea to last for or will this be for entire time im on it? Many thanks kelly

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kelly, if the nausea is a side effect of Amitriptyline it can take 3 to 6 weeks to even out. Most drugs take up to 6 weeks to settle down in your system. If it continues and the nausea is too much for you talk to your GP because it is possible your body is reacting to some element of the drug and you may need to come off and try something else. I hope the nerve conduction test and MRI give you some answers to your condition. Best Wishes, Liz
    • Posted

Thanks Elizabeth

I had the nausea before but this seems different i have absolutely no appetite and feel like im a zombie. Im hoping it evens out because they have tried so many drugs. I think my problem is most side effects are dizziness and nausea and i already have these problems before i even take any meds.

Thanks for your input x

• Posted

Hi Kelly8973,

I also have been put on Amitriptyline for symptoms related to my ME. I am already very dizzy and nauseous and the meds have made little difference to this I'm afraid. I'm going up to 25mg for the pain but already it's making me more nauseous and giving me a dry mouth. I think anyone with ME is super sensitive to any medication taken and so initially it might make us feel worse but it does ease off. How are you feeling?

• Posted

Hi hun

Ive given up on them. I may try again as the nerve pain is through the roof. This is not m.e it just doesnt feel the same as when i had it several years ago. All i could do was sleep then and pain was bareable it was much more about severe fatigue where i could be standing speaking to someone and a wave came over me and id literally have to lie down where i was!. This just feels so very very different. I hope you are feeling ok. How are things?x

• Posted

Kelly

The dose of drug is low at 10mg I take 50/75mg for nerve damage. I take them 30mins before sleep and they do seem to work sometimes for me.

Nausea at this level seems uncommon although if it still happens talk to your GP. I have PsA that mimics MS sometimes. it may be a good idea if you are having these problems it could be something else you are taking

BOB

• Posted

Hi Bob

I was told the lowest dose was the kne that actually helped the nerve pain. I gave up on them as my nausea is so extreme and my heart rate is seriously high through the night and morning even at rest and these made no difference. It cant be any other meds as i am on none due to not tolerating any. My problems have esculated severly over the last few months the nerves throughout my whole body are firing so bad that its causing so many problems with stomach sight dizziness i am in constant pain and feel very unwell. I am having an mri of lumbar lower back neck and brain and nerve conduction tests. Ive had to give up my work i am not able to go out as i feel so very unwell and dizzy. My life has literally stopped and im only 44. I hope you are doing well

Kelly

• Posted

Hi kelly how long have you been off amitripyline and how long did your symtoms last after your last dose? i have been off them for 24 days and still feel lightheaded and nausea, the doctors tell me i shouldnt have withdrawls for this longĀ 
    • Posted

Andrew,

How are you feeling now? I hope better😊Did you stop taking them cold turkey or taper off. I am currently trying to get off of these I am on 10 mg

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.