Amitriptyline and other tablets to help aid sleep

Posted , 9 users are following.

Just over the last few weeks I have seen plenty of articles and news feeds about the over use of Anti-depressants. I was put on 75mg of amitripyline around a year ago, not because i was depressed but for not being able to sleep because of pain and hot flushes. I also suffer alot with migraines and was told this would help with these.

Anyway I'm no worried about lasting side effects from taking such a high dose for a long time, i have spoke to my GP and as Ive had clomazepan and a few others he feels that this tablet would be the best one for me.

I have a stomach ulcer so cant take any NSAID.

Was just wondering if anyone could suggest any meds they make take at night for helping to sleep and for pain. 

Thank you

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Carla, I am amazed  that you were put onto such a high dose straight away. I have Fibro and ME and like you was having trouble with sleep..at least with 'staying asleep", I was put onto 10mg initially and advised to increase to 20 as required. 3 years later...I am still on 10, sleeping well and the feelings of depression have well and truly gone.  I know we are all different but 75mg seems un- necessarily high.  Has it been suggested you cut down at all?

• Posted

Hi Libby

I'm on 40 mgs of Nortriptyline ( a newer verson of amytriptline) for Fibro.  and other nerve related pain. it helps the pain but doesn't touch my insomnia i.e. Circadian Rhythm Disruption. i think it's a bit of a 'hit & miss' treatment - works for some but not for others.

C

• Posted

I started on 10mg with no effect, then raised to 20mg, then 50mg the only dose that seemed to get a result was the 75mg. I have had Gabapentin and tramadol and Neurontin in the pass with no result from these. 
  • Posted

As a natural alternative you could possible try cherry juice or a bath with magnesium flakes. I'm having problems sleeping too at the moment - pain/hot flushes and have been looking into things to try. I'm not great on meds from the docs. I've read they are both meant to help sleep so am planning on giving them a try.

• Posted

Doxepin (a trycyclic antideppressant) in low doses helps to promote REM sleep and helps with chronic pain. KPD

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.