Amitriptyline and Sertraline

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was diagnosed with FM 2 years ago although I'm sure I've had the condition for about 18 years. I have been taking between 50-75mg of Amitriptyline but just recentlly my symptoms have worsened again. I found my pain and depression levels have increased. I have now been prescribed 50mg of Sertraline to take as well. Does anyone else take this combination? Any help or advice would be much appreciated as I feel that no-one really understands what I'm going through :-( Thank You :-)

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I was om Sertraline and It made my condition much worse, I now take Duloxetine 60mg and 10 mg Amitriptyline, which I find works well,bit at the moments I am having a bad flare up, so am feeling down, and in a lot of pain. I suffer ME which I have suffered from for 28 years, and diagnosed with fibro last year, but I think it is the same condition,I understand what you are going through, it is an awful illness. Anything you want to ask please do.

Joyce x

• Posted

I was diagnosed with FM and myelodysplasia in 2007 i now have underactive thyroid,high blood pressure spondylarothopy and gallstones because of my blood im restricted at what medication i can take, but had been on amitriptylene for about 2/3 years before for pain relaxant, i have recently been taking 20mg and could up it to 30mg if i felt i needed it. it has been my lifesaver over the years i always say. I had a bedwetting incident for a few months and have now been told to just take 10mg, i have been in a flare up for a few months with more pain than ever and depression has kicked in,i am feeling constantly sick, am off my food, so tired, have no emotions feel im back in the black hole i was in before. My doc has prescribed 20mg paroxetine which i was on before but weaned myself off last year as life was looking rosy and thought i was coping better,just dont know whats triggered this back again. Sorry this isnt really giving advice, just feeling so sick happened to look up amitriptylene.

• Posted

Hi, Duloxetine is very good for pain,depression and is also prescribed for for bladder problems, Since I have been taking it I find that I don't have to get up in the night to go to the toilet. My mood has been brilliant too, as the pain is minimal now, and I feel so much better,maybe you could have a word with your doctor about this drug.I think you have to be careful about weening yourself off drugs. I am so sorry that you are feeling low,I know how you feel, I have been like that myself, and we just look for an answer to our problems. Hope you sta

rt to pick up soon, but you must go back to your doctor, if you don't feel better soon.

• Posted

thank you for your reply Joyce, I went to see a new doc this morning and am due to go back to her next tuesday, so will ask about the duloxetine then.
  • Posted

Hello Vanessa,

good luck to you when you go to see your doctor, I have under active thyroid too, and I took a drug called Sertraline which is in the same group as Paroxetine, and it had a bad effect on my thyroid, but I feel so much better on Duloxetine. We have just come back from a weeks holiday in Llandudno, and I have done more things than I have done in years, and for the first time can say that I have enjoyed myself. Keep your chin up you will feel better, when you get your medications right.

Cheers Joyce

• Posted

please come back to me kaz
  • Posted

I wish there was a way for us to call each other from time to time. Maybe we can do it from fb and inbox ppl our number. I don't have a problem with that if its okay with other ppl here. I think that is a safe way being I am on fb. And I def no wat ur going through but typing for me cramps my fingers being I am on a smartphone. Let me no. Plx
  • Posted

Hi missfinesse75, i would be happy to chat on fb but not sure what policy is with patient uk about giving details etc.

Hi Joyce, i went back to my doc and am back on the paroxetine, i am eating better and my life has been better during the summer months, but still not feeling great mentally or emotionally, pain is worse at the moment but blame that on the weather and time of year again. can't believe its come round so fast.

my doc kindly (not) told me that i am still menopausal so explains alot too. am thinking of going back and seeing diff doc or a lady doc for a change, as not happy with how i am feeling again.

• Posted

Hi all,

Sorry for not replying sooner. I have removed a couple of posts with FB details as we do not post these. Please use the Private Message service if you want to pass these details on. Just click the Message button under the relevant user's name in the column on the left to send a message.

Regards,

Alan

Emis Moderator

• Posted

i have been taking sertaline for over a year now, but increased anxiety led my doctor to give me amitriptyline due to continuous chest pain, since taking the amitripytyline at night am sleeping better but also sometimes wake early, i take my amitripyline at 7pm, generally ok for a few hrs, i suffer fron anxiety and deprssion, and am basically stabilised to a degree, ok yeah slight crap sets me back

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.