Amitriptyline and setraline

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi I have been on amitriptylin for headaches for over20 years and about 4 years ago was put on sertraline for depression 50mg I have got memory problems and my new doctor said it was because I shouldn't have been on both. Has anyone else had the same problem? And did your memory come back? Have been off sertraline for a few days now

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

You MAY be suffering from a low level of serotonin, according to a health expert article written in 2014:

"We know surprisingly little about what is happening when we experience a headache. But we know that neurotransmitters – the messengers that allow our nerve cells to communicate – are involved. Neurotransmitters regulate our body functions, and one of the most important neurotransmitters is serotonin. Differences in serotonin levels in our bodies are thought to greatly affect mood regulation, pain transmission, sexual behaviour, eating habits and sleep patterns. Low serotonin levels can make you feel depressed, cause bouts of insomnia or lead to pain – including headaches."

One way of getting serotonin into the brain is to use a supplement called 5-HTP. It comes with the recommendation to also take vitamin B6 which synergises with it to make it more effective.

Perhaps you can discuss this with your doctor or pharmacy to hopefully get an unbiased opinion. There have been tests with 5-HTP and placebos which came out very favourably for 5-HTP reducing headache effects or fewer of them. I hope this helps.

• Posted

Leesy

Both medications are AD drugs, if your Headache was Anxiety I suppose Amytryptalene was given for that reason. The other Sertraline should be ok depending on the dose of both.

I take Amytryptalene at 50mg and Citalopram at 20mg, I have been on these drugs like you for a long time.

Within the last twelve months or so I was tested for Dementia and the results cae back it was a Conjenital Short Term Memory Disorder. I am still on my medications as I take Opiates as well. I have also been given instruction in using my Medium Term memory. to extend my short term memory.

Your GP needs to discuss further ways to treat your revised condition, I hope you wil be able to confront your problem.

At this time I am taking Power Boat sailing courses, I have passed my Radio and have one more day out in the sea. Try not to worry, we all can beat unpleasent problems if we need to

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.