Amitriptyline are my symptoms linked to withdrawal

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there

I have been on Amitriptyline for approximately 5 years for migraine prevention just 5-10mg per night. As it seemed to have stopped working I was told to just stop by my doctor about 7-8 weeks ago. Doc said I didn't need to taper as it was small dose...

After first few days of not taking it I felt nauseous (very rare for me) then after 3 weeks I had three bedridden days of vomiting and general illness. Since then I have been suffering from debilitating fatigue, headaches, low appetite, low mood - just so not myself. Regularly taking paracetemol and OTC sleep aids to fight off lack of ability to sleep properly.

Can anyone else relate to this or is it just a weird coincidence? I had bloods taken yesterday - would withdrawal be identified by a blood test? Any help, comments, advice gladly received - thank you.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Catherine

No I dont think its a coincidence. I have been on 50mg for 20 years and have spent the last 2 years trying to come off them as I was not sleeping and basically they werent helping me any more. I am now down to 20 mg but it has been a nightmare . I Went down to 10mg at one point but I felt as though I had flu with diahorrea and sickness so I went back to 20. MY Sleep has improved a lot but I still get bouts of stomach problems and headaches every now and again. Duringthis time my doctor never mentioned anything about how bad withdrawal symptoms would be. I am trying to cut down to 15mg very slowly but its a process of one step forward and two steps back at the moment. I would try and cut down e xtremely slowly just one mg at a time. But dont worry those are classic symptoms of drug withdrawal symptoms and they will get better over time.

Faith

• Posted

Hi Faith, I am new to this site but I was just reading your reply to Catherine regarding amitriptyline withdrawal. i am glad I have found someone who has been taking it for as long as I have as a lot of posts I read are people who havent been on amitriptyline as long as myself. I have been on it for 25 years but was on a relatively low dose (25mg) up until 2011 when the dr took me off it abruptly & tried me with all sorts of the newer SSRI's which made me spiral rapidly & ended up with very bad anxiety for 3 months. i was told the amitriptyline was no longer working but after having tried new meds I decided myself to go back to amitriptyline but I gradually had to increase to 110mg. For the last 2 years I have been trying to taper off them. Ive managed to get down to 35mg but although my anxiety seems fine, I have different symptoms, very bad headaches on waking & now have an acid stomach which the doc has given me Omeprazole for. Some days I feel like I am going down with flu & my sleep pattern is not good. I cant help wondering whether it is to do with withdrawal of amitriptyline as I see you also get stomach problems & headaches. I am at my wits end as cant make appointment with the doc because if covid but can ask a doctor to call but to me doctors always seem to dismiss anything to do with withdrawal. I just wondered how you were getting on with your tapering & didnt know whether I should stick with tapering as I feel a bit anxious about increasing the dose again especially as I have git down quite low. Would be grateful for any help/advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.