Amitriptyline burning withdrawal

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone since I've come off amitriptyline which I was on for 6months I've been having burning like pain on left hand side of head. Has anyone had this. I went doc yesterday and he put me on duloxetine to help. Cheers any advice will be grateful

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Desmond

​The burning pain could be a withdrawal symptom of coming off Amitriptyline. Did you come off this drug slowly or quite quickly? Giving you yet another drug to mask this is not a good idea at all and Duloxetine has many side effects and is extremely difficult to stop taking. Please research this (also known as Cymbalta) is often given for depression, GAD (Generalised Anxiety Disorder) and Fibromyalgia. It is also used for neuropathic pain associated with diabetes.. It is addictive.Always research

new drugs before taking them. I hope you can make an informed decision on this for yourself and wish you well.

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth. Yeah I wasn't keen on the doc given me duloxetine. I've been on them since Tuesday and still got burning head and even more spaced out. Shall not take anymore. I think I just have to put up with it. Cheers for your reply

• Posted

I only took these for a month and I was amazed at the side effects when withdrawing. I was very groggy, tired and clumsy weirdly. I wouldn't mask the side effects with more tablets. The thing about withdrawal is that you know however unpleasant, it will end. It just takes time to re-adjust. Adding a new tablet with as many equally serious side effects is just opening up a whole new world of problems.

I am amazing at how easily GP's give out these tablets. A two minute consultation can easily ruin the next 4 weeks of your life dealing with side effects of AD's. Half the time I think it’s just to give you something so you don’t leave the room empty handed.

• Posted

Cheers mate. You are spot my doc is pill mad .I ain't going to take the duloxetine I've been on them 4 days and already feel crap. I think I just stick to having a few bottles of budwiser lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.